casual observation Oneway 1224

Just to clarify, I'm pretty certain the PM tailstock is not 80 pounds. I would guess it's closer to 40 or 50 pounds. I can lift mine off the floor quite easily with one hand, although it takes two to get it into place on the lathe bed. If it was 80 pounds, I doubt I could lift it one-handed.

Thanks for clarifications. I got that 80 pound thing from another, long ago, post by someone else.
BTW, I'm not really wanting to knock the PM or Oneway. They are highly regarded machines enjoyed by many. My friend is very fond of his PM. He was less enthusiastic when asked how he liked his new Oneway. Quality of the 'O' is not in question. But, some of the features are not to my liking.

For the record, my thread is "casual observation". Obviously I cannot give a users perspective.
However, I do wonder how tall Chris is. No matter the price of the toy, the spindle height would be uncomfortable for me.
And, having to stand back because of poor foot positioning is a huge downer.

Reminds me of my brother-in-laws $100,000.00 Jaguar car. Literally no room for the feet and butt (can we say "butt" here?) felt like it was dragging on the pavement. High quality car but give me my used Dodge truck any day. A much better ride.

I'm 6' and 190lbs. The comparison of the lathes to women is well placed. One person's ideal isn't necessarily another's. So Frank, if someone were to offer you the choice of either a 1224 or any Griz lathe, which would you chose?

Now, I'll go get back under my rock...

If I can chime in here, I don't know anything about any of the lathe's being discussed... I looked at the Grizzly catalog and liked what I saw, but I prefer a hands on shopping on big ticket items, so I went with another brand. I'm like Frank though, I want to make sure I can get close to my work and stand comfortably.

And Frank, I may be wrong but somewhere in the deep dark depths of my old memory, isn't Jaguar owned by Ford? or was that the Range Rover and Rolls Royce?

I'm 6' and 190lbs. The comparison of the lathes to women is well placed. One person's ideal isn't necessarily another's. So Frank, if someone were to offer you the choice of either a 1224 or any Griz lathe, which would you chose?

Now, I'll go get back under my rock...

Chris, that's an apples and oranges bait. ;)
In this case, the 1224 is a midi which doesn't interest me. As for "any" Grizz lathe. I believe the G0632, which I have, is tough to beat for the dollars involved.
If the question was the 1224 and a similar sized Grizz lathe, that would be tough. For me, service (if needed) is somewhat local to where I live and I have a history of good luck with Grizz tools. One must not assume just because it is green it is bad.
We just returned from vacation. My brother-in-law showed me his new $105,000.00 Mercedes sports car. If I was prohibited from reselling and given the choice of that or a new Dodge truck, the truck would be the no-regrets choice. Same (almost) difference.

Frank,

The 1224 can turn up to 12" diameter and with the extension bed can turn 48" in length. Not exactly what I would call a midi but, I know it gets lumped in there. My bait had to do with what you would choose if price wasn't in the equation. I have some Griz stuff and it's been good value for the dollar but, if I could make the choice just based on how they work and how well they perform (the quality of the turning experience) there is no comparison. Oneways are what turners lust for with good reason. They aren't bargain pieces of gear but, like Festool, once you've experienced the quality and performance, you get spoiled. Enjoy your lathe without the need to justify it based on price. I'm glad you enjoy it!

Now me, I would go for the Mercedes over the Dodge. I've had 3 Mercedes and they are pains in the rear to maintain and I've had a Dodge 1500 extended cab, good truck but, for driving pleasure I would rather be in the SL600...

Comparing a sports car and a truck is comparing the two life styles. A fair comparison would be a sports car and a Dodge Viper. Frank, I doubt you will choose a Viper either. If MB makes a $200K truck, probably you will choose that over the Dodge Viper.

Most of the retired folks don't have to dress up any more. The good suits and dressy shoes are reserved for weddings and funerals. No matter how nice and cheap the European suits are, we not interested because they can't be washed and dried at home. Most importantly they won't survive being invited to our woodworking friends' workshop visits. We would prefer denim and tennis shoes now. We would rather give up the tight weaving smooth light weight fabric, styling and choose the easy care rugged casuals.

The sub-subject of this thread is an interesting study in human nature. A professional shrink could probably find a lot to say about our points of view.

"Folks is funny critters." by Frank G. Fusco (I think I'll have that on my headstone.)

The sub-subject of this thread is an interesting study in human nature. A professional shrink could probably find a lot to say about our points of view.

"Folks is funny critters." by Frank G. Fusco (I think I'll have that on my headstone.)

Frank, Frank, Frank...
You never seize to amaze me.

If I can chime in here, I don't know anything about any of the lathe's being discussed... I looked at the Grizzly catalog and liked what I saw, but I prefer a hands on shopping on big ticket items, so I went with another brand. I'm like Frank though, I want to make sure I can get close to my work and stand comfortably.

And Frank, I may be wrong but somewhere in the deep dark depths of my old memory, isn't Jaguar owned by Ford? or was that the Range Rover and Rolls Royce?

I believe at one time it was both Jag. and RR but they are resold again.

Just as trying to address the specifics of Frank's original post:

But, without using it, the downsides, as I see them, are: the EVS does not have a digital read-out for RPMs;

True, I don't know of a decent turner on earth that uses the digital readout to plan their turning. But, if that's an important issue then the Oneway (all of them) comes up short there.

the headstock is fixed;

True, the motor is located low in the housing of the base to provide additional stability and smaller profile of the headstock. I have a PM3520a as well and the headstock moves but, I don't move it very often. However, if you want one machine to do it all then this may be a short coming as well.

the positioning of the bottom shelf makes getting close to the work awkward (e.g. can't put feet under and get close);

False, you can stand close enough to rub your (insert belly parts here) on the base. If you got any closer the wood would be in your shorts.

the controls are on the back side, one must reach over the work, IMHO this poses a possible safety hazard.

False, the speed control stalk can be positioned on the back at either end of the ways or, detached and moved to the front if you want.

The spindle center height was a bit high for my comfort but might be OK for a tall guy.

Subjective, if you are 5'5" or taller it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

I didn't use it or even turn it on. But those factors alone would turn me to another brand and model.

Hmmm, I guess I want to turn on a lathe before I make a judgement about it.

Just as trying to address the specifics of Frank's original post:

But, without using it, the downsides, as I see them, are: the EVS does not have a digital read-out for RPMs;

True, I don't know of a decent turner on earth that uses the digital readout to plan their turning. But, if that's an important issue then the Oneway (all of them) comes up short there.

the headstock is fixed;

True, the motor is located low in the housing of the base to provide additional stability and smaller profile of the headstock. I have a PM3520a as well and the headstock moves but, I don't move it very often. However, if you want one machine to do it all then this may be a short coming as well.

the positioning of the bottom shelf makes getting close to the work awkward (e.g. can't put feet under and get close);

False, you can stand close enough to rub your (insert belly parts here) on the base. If you got any closer the wood would be in your shorts.

the controls are on the back side, one must reach over the work, IMHO this poses a possible safety hazard.

False, the speed control stalk can be positioned on the back at either end of the ways or, detached and moved to the front if you want.

The spindle center height was a bit high for my comfort but might be OK for a tall guy.

Subjective, if you are 5'5" or taller it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

I didn't use it or even turn it on. But those factors alone would turn me to another brand and model.

Hmmm, I guess I want to turn on a lathe before I make a judgement about it.

That must mean I'm not a decent turner. Nor are the many thousands of others who do use, and like, a digital read out.

A movable headstock is an important feature in the opinion of many. I moved mine yesterday for a 40" long project. Personally, I would not want a lathe without a movable, and preferably, swivel capable, headstock.

The bottom shelf did make standing close uncomfortable for me rendering the tool basically useless, IMHO.

The spindle height was too high for my comfort. I'm sure that just a few minutes of trying to turn with arms held high would be unpleasant and tiring. That's objective. Uncomfortable and tiring.

Given those observations, I would pass on this lathe even if the opportunity to turn it on were available. Which, in this case, it was. I declined the opportunity. And, as I noted, the owner, an experienced turner that teaches, expressed an underwhelming opinion about the 1224.

Digital readout

I belong to two active clubs; have seen quite a few demonstrations by professional turners. I have also attended several symposiums. One common question from the audiences is at what rpm the lathe was turning. 9.9 of the 10, the demonstrator couldn't answer that question. One of our club lathe is the Oneway 2436; the other is a PM 3520. They usually turn at the speed that they think it is right. I have never seen any demonstrator set the speed of the lathe according to the dial or the read out. I can say with certainty that every demonstrator kept their eyes on the blank while they are fine tuning the lathe speed. None of them was looking at the dial or the read out at that time.

I have a DVR that not only has a digital read out, but it can also set the speed in 5 rpm increment. Personally, I don't think it is an asset. I don't believe I would know the difference between 1500 or 1495 rpm. I always start from slow, then increase to the speed that I feel comfortable (whatever that speed it). Each piece of wood is different; if it has voids, bark inclusions, unbalanced, I would turn at a slower speed.

I doubt Del Stubbs has ever used a lathe with these fancy features. I don't believe this feature would be on top of the list for choosing a lathe, neither would a disk sander at the hand wheel side of the head stock.

If there is no radar gun, speed trap, school zone or fuel conservation, I doubt we would need the speed odometer in our car for commuting either.

You are right Gordon,

I never look at the readout on the 3520.
I can tell if I'm turning to fast by the sound of the spinning wood or to slow by the way the tools are cutting.

The readout does come in handy though, it lets me know if the lathe is still plugged in before I leave the shop.

I too have a DVR, and the only thing my read out is good for is a "WOW" factor, sometimes I'm turning something and I set the speed by feel, then I'll look later and go "WOW" I did not think it was turning THAT fast :eek:

Cheers!

I also have the DVR that reads speed. I'll bet I haven't looked at it but 2 or 3 times since I got it 1 1/2 yrs. ago. I am like Stu. I look at it on occasion and say wow. I turn by feel. I have never seen a need for a speed control. At the symposium this year all the demo's I attended which was 9 not one of the pro's looked at the speed and every one of them said they turn the lathe up till they are comfortable.

I do have to agree with Chris. I turned on a 1224 Oneway and it is as comfortable as my DVR. I am 6' and it wasn't a problem turning the bowl that I did. I still have it in the back of my mind to get one to replace the Rikon because of the variable speed. Yes you can move the controls around on the lathe.

Last edited: