Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two takes with Osage Orange

Two takes with Osage Orange

These are 2 sides of the same log I got from my dad a few months ago. Each are 10" wide and 5" tall.

The first has more pith in it and created sunburst like design. I finished it with 5 coats of rattle can laquer, still needs to be buffed out.

The second didn't have the sunburst so I scorched and then wire brushed the top which is a little thicker as well. Finish is just watco danish oil.

Critiques/Comments encouraged. (I know many don't like the think ones, but I've had good sales succes with them lately.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20080804_0009.JPG   20080804_0008.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thick/thin, matter of taste. I'll bet going through that knot was tough. Personally, I would have softened the edges some and maybe put an burn ring on top of the first bowl to break up the big, plain, area.

Looks real nice Jeff. I agree with Frank, probably was tough going through that knot.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Frank and Darren, The knot wasn't that tough at all. The blank was pretty wet still. It was sealed within minutes of being cut and got my faceshield nice and wet while turning.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

The thick wall certainly makes for an interesting look. It somehow reminds me of one of those mini Civil War cannons (mortars?) or a catcher's mitt, or a bird's nest.

Nice twist ... calling the pith a "sunburst design". The other bowls probably end up like Sneetches, all wishing that they had "stars upon thars" too.

Nice detailing on the first bowl Jeff good use of the pith
    "Every day's a school day"

Great looking bowls Jeff. The pith sure did make a pleasant look to it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Pith is the rings going out from the center right? Like the center of the log?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I like the sunburst on the first one, and the burned and brushed rim on the second one is cool, too.

Critique-wise, I think I'd like to see the outside curve of the bowls more closely match the inside curve. Particularly on the first bowl, the inside is a nice, hemispherical shape, but the outside has more of a straight side, curving quickly to the foot. If the outside curve was a continuous radius from the outside rim to the foot, I think it would tie things together better visually. (One person's opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Pith is the rings going out from the center right? Like the center of the log?
    The pith is the center of a series of rings. You'll see it in the main trunk, and also in the middle of branches/knots. For reasons I don't know, the pith is often the first place a piece of wood will begin to crack and split, so in general, turners try to avoid having pith in their turning blanks. There are times though, like the first bowl here, when the pith can be used to a visual advantage.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the critque Vaughn. I agree with you on the outside curve...I have the pic you gave me explaining this some time ago above the lathe...maybe I should look at it more often.... Oh well, there's always the next bowl!
    My Website