Making a French rolling pin

Frank Fusco

I mentioned this project in another thread. However, since I was unable to find anything, via Google, on how to make a French rolling pin, I thought I would post my experiences here.
Before finding any dimensions, I employed the finnagle factor and decided on a 16" long pin for my nine year old grandson. Later, I found two advertised at 18" and one at 20". Having made a different style once for my wife, I believe 20" is too long and would be unwieldy for anyone.
But, it took quite a bit of searching to find the diameter. The center is recommended to be 1 1/2" dia. One source said the ends should be 1 1/8". That is what I am going with.
BTW, one article said this style was deliberately designed so the cooks hand would actually come into contact with the dough and give a better feel for consistency. Conventional, handled, pins do not allow this personal touch.
The wood I am using is Arkansas maple. I don't know what kind of maple it is. I have been told we have only soft maple. I would challenge anyone to turn this stuff and tell me it is 'soft'. BTW, this hunk looks like it has some very pretty figure in it. That will be a bonus. Pictured is an example of a French pin and a shot of my pin at beginning stage of turning. Probably won't get finished until after the 19th of this month as I have three other projects underway and we are going on a trip. This isn't going to make FW project of the year, but some might find it interesting. I'll update as I go.

Attachments

• rolling pin.jpg
    rolling pin.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 150
  • start rolling pin.jpg
    start rolling pin.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 130
Looking good Frank :thumb:

If it were me, I'd use my roughing gouge almost until the last cut, then use the skew. I can get a cut with my roughing gouge that is almost as nice as my skew, almost :D

What are your exact dimensions for this rolling pin?

Cheers!

I've done a couple of these. If you look at the Wood magazine plan ("A Baker's Trio"), they list the overall length as 20.5". That is divided into a flat section of 6.5" in the middle of the length and then each side is tapered for 7" to the ends. The diameter in the center is 1.5" and the diameter at the ends is 7/8". The second one I did used the same length, but I upped the diameter to just under 2" (for a bit more heft). I used maple for both.

Looking good Frank :thumb:

If it were me, I'd use my roughing gouge almost until the last cut, then use the skew. I can get a cut with my roughing gouge that is almost as nice as my skew, almost :D

What are your exact dimensions for this rolling pin?

Cheers!

This pin is 16" long, 1 1/2" center tapering to 1" at the ends.
Recommended sizes I found (for adults) was 18" to 20" long.
I did use my 1" spindle gouge for gross waste removal.

That looks good... I owe a rolling pin to the local baker.. he lets me display some of my peppermills in his bakery and doesn't charge a commission on sales, even though I've tried to give him one. He wants a 24 inch job that's about 4" diameter.

That looks good... I owe a rolling pin to the local baker.. he lets me display some of my peppermills in his bakery and doesn't charge a commission on sales, even though I've tried to give him one. He wants a 24 inch job that's about 4" diameter.

That would be a honkin' big rolling pin. But, of course, it would get professional use. Previously, I made a conventional style rolling pin for my wife. The patterns I found said 2 1/2" diameter and 24" wide. I made it 20" wide and it is still a big pin. If I do more, they will be 2"X20", not counting the handles.
A tip: Be sure to use calipers and check across the length of the pin frequently. A pin that is larger on one side than the other will 'wander' to the small side.
I use no finish, only a light rub of olive or mineral oil.