3 sapele bowls

John Ryan

these three bowls are all finished with a food safe oil the first one is my first square attempt it is 5ins x 2ins
square sapele bowl2.jpg
this second one is 4ins x 1 1/2ins
small bowl sapele.jpg sapele small bowl.jpg
the last one is 11ins x 2ins
sapele bowl 11ins.jpg sapele bowl 11ins 1.jpg

critque and comments will be helpfull

Great job on all three bowls, John. :thumb: Those square forms sure can be knuckle-busters if you're not careful, huh? I'd vote for the third one as my favorite.

What oil did you end up using for the finish? (Food-safe finishes often spark an interesting debate.)

Thank you all for your kind comments. Vaughan the oil used was from IKEA they use it for their cutting boards, as it is in Swedish I am unable to list what is in it. It was an interesting time doing it and I have the cuts to prove it :doh: Darren the shape just evolved on the lathe it was going to be an ogee shape :huh: but this is the interesting thing about turning, things can change by the minute :wave::wave:

Thanks for the info, John. I'd suspect the Ikea oil is primarily mineral oil. (Does it say "mineralolja" on the label anywhere?) I've used mineral oil on a lot of cutting boards. I use the pharmaceutical grade, so it's also food safe.

Yep, I'll take the 3rd one too, but they are all nice.

I picked up two quarts of mineral oil in Canada when I was there, hard to find it here in Japan.