Curly Cherry Shaker Cabinet

It has been forever since I've posted anything here and the reason is simple: it's been forever since I've been able to get into the wood shop. Well, I finally got back in and was able to utilize some figured cherry I had in order to make this Enfield Shaker Cabinet. This is my interpretation anyway. A simplified version if you will. Is it even possible to simplify a Shaker design?

The sides are joined to the top using hand cut dovetails. I opted to keep the line because I like the look. The original has molding which I was planning to do as well, but I opted to leave the end grain exposed for a different look. Also, unlike the original, I chose to use a concealed door hinge that I mortised into the door. This is a pretty cool idea that I got from FWW and it was pretty simple to do. I installed some leather bumpers on the top and bottom of the case to give the door a nice soft feel when it closes. I chamfered the edges of the back panel to give a bit of a shadow line. Other than that, there's really nothing to this project. The finish is BLO followed by a few coats of pre-cat lacquer.

My son was a huge help on this project, so that made it all the more enjoyable. He even signed the piece after we were done. I put some pictures of that and more of this project at my personal site.

Anyway, enjoy. I hope it inspires as much as your work inspires me to keep pressing on.

Jason

Attachments

• Curly-Cherry-Enfield-1.jpg
    Curly-Cherry-Enfield-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Curly-Cherry-Enfield-5.jpg
    Curly-Cherry-Enfield-5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Curly-Cherry-Enfield-2.jpg
    Curly-Cherry-Enfield-2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Curly-Cherry-Enfield-3.jpg
    Curly-Cherry-Enfield-3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Curly-Cherry-Enfield-4.jpg
    Curly-Cherry-Enfield-4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Curly-Cherry-Enfield-6.jpg
    Curly-Cherry-Enfield-6.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 102
The Jasonator strikes again! Gorgeous work, man. You have a knack for making simple things look very elegant. Fine woodworking indeed. :thumb:

Good to see you were able to get back in the shop, and extra glad to see you drop in here. Don't be a stranger. :wave:

BTW, feel free to put the URL for your personal site in your signature line. It's allowed here (encouraged, even).

Jason, for once could you make something that kind of sucks and show us :D

Your work is always so nice to see, I really appreciate you taking the time to give us a peek.

About your son helping you, that must really make the whole thing that much better, but I have to ask, how old is he.........? As the avatar you use, makes me think your son must be still in diapers, or are you as well preserved as your work is simply beautiful to see?

I love the dovetailed corners and the line, looks great, and show us the concealed hinge, if you can.

Stu

welcome back jason

and you came back in style as always very nice cabinet,, how do you like spraying precat??? is it any tougher than regular lacq.? i too would like to see your hidden hinge.. once again very nice wood and workmanship thats why you were in the fww mag..:thumb::thumb:

Jason,

my first words were

Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Then I came up with

'Dude!'

and

'Man, I can't wait to see that in about three years or so when the cherry has tanned a bit'

and then

'*THUD*' (jaw dropping as I saw the picture of the Back)

You forgot something, however, which would greatly enhance the beauty of that piece...

a Large Lazy Suzan to spin it around.

Good Job!

Thanks guys!

Concealed Door Hinge Ah, oops. I meant "latch." The hinges are fully exposed. Bought them straight out of the Horton Brass catalogue. Great stuff. It was the latch/spinner that is concealed. The spinners I've built in the past were always put on the back of the door. The Shaker original put a spinner on the outside of the cabinet. Regardless, my bad.

Darren: Hilarious avatar!

Lee: The finish is Boiled Linseed Oil followed by a curing in the sun for a day. I then applied a number of coats of lacquer by spraying.

Stu: At my website you can check out pics of the fam, and under new work you can see my son signing the piece. I told him at the beginning I would let him sign if he helped me out. So he started figuring out his own twist on his initials. Brought back many memories of being a kid and trying to sign my name. He's my second son, third child, and he's 9. I have five children in total.

Larry: I really enjoy spraying the pre-cat. In fact, my son sprayed all three shelves both sides with just a little lesson from me. It dries in nothing flat. Seriously! You can spray three shelves, and by the time you put the gun down, the first one is about dry to the touch. Granted, it's been 100F here, but it still dries really, really fast. Love the stuff. Very tuff finish.

Ned: Very funny and very kind.

... this Enfield Shaker Cabinet. This is my interpretation anyway. A simplified version if you will. Is it even possible to simplify a Shaker design?

Sure it is!

Sometimes I skim posts and just look at photos, and then go back and read the text afterwards. So I looked at the first photo and one of my first thoughts was... "Where is the top!?" On a shaker piece I expect to see a top overhanging the front and sides. Then I go back and read about you joining the top to the side with dovetails... and the other photos of course also give more details. So yes, I think you can definitely put your own spin, your own simplification, on a design.

Lovely cherry, also. Give it 3-4 years and THEN post some photos... :headbang:

Are the shelves adjustable or are they fixed in place?

Jason Tuinstra said:
Other than that, there's really nothing to this project.

Yeah. Right. I nominate that as understatement of the year. :rofl:

Art, thanks for the encouragement. I was going to put on the molding, but I figured I liked the look as is. Very subjective, I know.

The shelves are fully adjustable. I didn't take pics of that. But brass pins hold the shelves in place.

so which precat are you using jason? what thinning are you using?

Larry, I use MacLac F-252 (80 Series). I get it at one of the paint stores in my town, but I've also purchased it from a local Sherwin Williams. I'm under the impression that California law is ultra conservative concerning VOC's and therefore, much of the lacquer that you can get in the other states, you cannot get here. I've never been too concerned to look into the law as I've come to really enjoy using MacLac pre-cat. You can check out their website at maclac.com There's a product list, scroll down to 80 series and you'll find the F-252 and all the info that you could ever want and more ;)

I normally add a bit of lacquer thinner to make it flow through my PC gun a bit better. There's no scientific measurement, just a little slosh of thinner. "Slosh" isn't a scientific term is it? :D

Hope this helps.

Jason,
That is an outstanding cabinet--just like what we have become accustomed to see from you!:thumb: It's good to see you back; don't stay away so long again. You were missed.