Curly Cherry Shaker Cabinet

Jason,

It is great to see your outstanding work again.

I have not had much shop time either, too many kid's activities and Boy Scout campouts, not to mention too many nights (days?) wasted in hotel rooms. I have several unfinished projects to complete, and several I would someday like to start. :eek:

Did you use any nails, as Chris Schwarz recommended in his Woodworking magazine article on this piece? Just curious, as I read that article, but still wasn't sure I would want to use nails.

I hope all is well with you and your family.

Martin, slowest woodworker in Texas

Ron: Thanks!!!

Stu: Well preserved. That's funny! BTW, I take no responsibility for the good looks of my family. Thankfully, mom took care of the looks department with the kido's.

Martin: So good to hear from you. I've been making fully use of the friendly skies of late, but have yet to see a pilot with at CHB t-shirt on. Hmmm... I saw the article that you referred to, but didn't buy the magazine so I never read the article. I didn't use any nails in this. I did get his CAD file on this and I used some of the dimensions, but I couldn't figure out why they didn't do dovetails for the top. Hence it was my mission to utilize my favorite joint. :D The family is doing great. Growing like weeds, they are! Glad to hear you're priorities are still straight as well. Family first, everything else second. If that's what makes you a slow woodworker, then wear that title proudly!

Jason,

Beautiful piece. Everything about it is just plain nice.
Thanks for sharing.

After looking at your website, I assume cherry is one of your favorite woods. Do you build this furniture for yourself and your family or do you mainly build on a commission basis.

If you don't mind me asking, what does curly cherry go for in your neck of the woods, per bdft?

Chris

Jason I love the piece! Then I went to your websight, holy cow :eek: what great stuff!!! really cool having your son take part in the piece and signing it!

Again, another reason I love Family woodworking, all you talented woodworkers giving this rookie drive>

Thanks for sharing your work Jason

Tom

Vis-co-si-ty - I love that word. Fun to say! Yea, hard to describe... unless your a wordsmith and picture painter like Larry :D LOL, runny nose. That's funny.

Chris: Yea, pretty obvious I'm a cherry guy, huh? ;) Believe it or not, I pay between $5-$6 for my cherry. It's been awhile since I've bought any, but that's ballpark. If I get the really wide stuff, I'll pay a premium. Where I get my lumber, they don't separate the curly stuff, so when I dig, I'm normally rewarded for my efforts. If you look at the top of the wine cabinet, what I think is some of the nicest curly cherry I've seen, at least up close, I got that for the normal price of $5 something - not even a premium for the width. It was toward the bottom of a pretty big stack that I had to dig through, but, ah, that was a no-brainer. Next to it I found the door panel lumber that seemed to be from the same tree. I've been very fortunate. Much of the furniture on the website has been built for our house or family/friends. I've built a few projects for an actual profit, but most were mate-rates.

Tom/Ken: Thanks! Good to be back!