Router Question?

Charles Hans

Does anyone have the Milwaukee 5625-20 3 1/4 hp router for use in their router table? I need to replace the P/C 690 that I have been using for the last four or five years, and the Milwaukee has some appeal as far as the soft start, and above the table adjustment. I need opinions from someone that has this router, good and bad points
Chuck

Short version; get it, you'll love it, you'll never be sorry.

I've had it for a couple years or there-abouts. I couldn't wish for a better router for the table. Soft start, VS, electronic feedback, I have to remember my feed rates and depth of cut because it doesn't care. I had gone in too hard on an oak stile once and wouldn't have realized it if a big chunk of material hadn't blown out.

The above the table adjustment is not as nice as some routers designed that way. The tools with the more refined lift functions (Triton 2-14 for one) don't have the raw power of the 5625 and its ilk (don't get me wrong the Triton is very nice). I have been happy with the adjustments but soon gave up on the above the table option (even though I had a plate machined with a crank hole and all that).

I picked up a PRL that I will work into my router table right after the bulk of the current project gets behind me. You don't need a lift with the 5625 but, (now watch my rationalization engine kick in) if I would have saved some pocket change each day since the day I got the 5625, I can pay or the PRL ;-) Seriously though; great router, very happy every time I use it.

Last edited:
Id stick with a PC if it were me the new 3 1/4 hp have soft start and if you get the Speedmatic you can use the larger panel raising bits with it.

I have alway had good luck and the best prices from Ballew Saw & Tool in Springfield Mo. :thumb::thumb:
I can get the 800# if you want they ship all over the US

Jay

I don't know if I can list names of dealers on here so if I have done something wrong by doing so let me know and I will delete it I'm just a happy customer :dunno:

...No problems with being someone I work for as I'm disabled and have nothing to do but read the forum:D:D

Real sorry to hear of your disability, but I guess that gives you time to find good suppliers for wood and tools to share with the rest of the gang here. ;)

Thanks for the tip on Ballew Saw & Tool. :)

Thanks to you all for the feedback, it is good to hear from someone that actually has, and uses something before you jump on the band wagon. I appreciate all of your opinions and will take them into consideration when I make the plunge.
Chuck

The Milwaukee 5616-20 is the same design (with less power), so I believe my opinion on the matter is adequate. I originally intended to use it for hand routing because of the Body Grip design. But I got another machine (Festool), so the Milwaukee is in my router table.

Last summer, Fine Woodworking magazine gave the Milwaukee its top rating in a comparison of table routeres. They didn't like two things about, however. The position of the on-off switch is a tad awkward. And having to change bits above the table is hampered by the relatively short extension when cranked to the full UP position. Neither of those issues bother me.

What I don't like about it awkwardly bending down to clamp and unclamp the depth locking mechanism.

If you watch carefully, Amazon.com has periodic sales on Milwaukees.

Gary Curtis:)