Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow, Small-Opening, Interior Finishing

Hollow, Small-Opening, Interior Finishing

I've read several discussions on the merits and methods to clean up the interior of hollow turned pieces with a small opening. I've read about sandpaper on forceps, the different Velcro-based sanding systems, inflatable sanders, getting your child's fingers in there, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had used sandblasting media, small stones, shot, or Metal Vibrator/Tumbler Resin Abrasive media inside a slowly spinning hollow piece.

I was thinking I could 1. turn a hollow piece, 2. partially fill it with the media, 3. tape closed the opening, and 4. let it run for a couple of hours on a fairly slow speed.

Has anyone tried this?
    What are your thoughts?

I read somewhere of someone doing something along those lines. I don't recall any of the details, but I seem to remember them talking about using rock tumbling media. Seems it should work, although on woods that have a lot of variation between hard and soft spots, the "sanding" could end up being uneven. (Although you can run into the same issue when sanding with the other methods, too.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn,

I agree about hard and soft areas.

I haven't "advanced" my bowl turning skills yet to move up to hollow forms, but I was thinking the process has the advantages of power and time with the piece left running on the lathe.

Maybe I'll just make hollow forms that are 0.00390625" thick with a 0.0078125" opening. That way no one can see the inside. ()

I've been thinking about this, and I wonder if it would work. You would have to put a lot of abrasive media into the HF, or it would just go to the lowest spot in the HF and stay there......... I think.......

I doubt I can get anything like that over here, in less than 100Kg packs, so I'll have to watch for you guys to give it a go.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I remember someone talking about this on a forum somewhere as well. They set up a very low speed motor with a bolt to fasten their chuck to it and used some kind of rock. I think he did run into the high/low because of hard/soft parts of the wood.

Had to look for it and found it....allen neighbors at smc
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Yes, I Have

Yes. The first turner I knew of that did it was Terry Daniels. I have been meaning to set up such a rig. I think Allen and I saw it at the same gathering in GA. What held me up was getting the motor that turns at she speed needed. I hate to make this kind of thing because I know so little about what to do and where to get what I need.

My lathe is up the road in another building (some use their lathe). I don't even leave it plugged in more less running. I was going to set the motor up in the garage where I could keep an eye on it.

If anyone can tell me exactly what I need and where to get it I would be sooooo happy!
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Gill View Post
    If anyone can tell me exactly what I need and where to get it I would be sooooo happy!
    Barbara, I know Allen will give you all the info needed. He has emailed me a few of his "homemade buffing" ideas in the past. He also has pics and an explantaion of his setup posted on the WOW site.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thank you all.

I agree about getting it off the lathe and on to a slow speed motor.

I'm not looking for a mirror finish, just nicer than the dings, dangs, and dodges I expect to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Barbara, I know Allen will give you all the info needed. He has emailed me a few of his "homemade buffing" ideas in the past. He also has pics and an explantaion of his setup posted on the WOW site.

I will check it out. Thanks Jeff.
    Barbara

Hollow forms

Here is a hollow form that I'm doing. I used a SorBy round shear scraper to get it cleaned up and I used forecepts for sanding the interior. The opening is 1".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood #1.jpg   Wood #2.jpg   Wood#3.jpg