Biscuit strength

A recent post discussed the strength of various joints in a cabinet. Biscuits were much maligned there. So I dug out the magazine Wood November 2008 where extensive tests were made on various joint methods. True, Mortise and Tenon joints are still king, but biscuits weren't to shabby either. A red oak butt joint made with biscuits had a pull apart strength of 1000 pounds and a shear strength of 250 pounds. So how many bottles do you want to put into your cabinet? Plus the ease of using biscuits, give those critters a break.

DKT

.......I dug out the magazine Wood November 2008 where extensive tests were made on various joint methods. True, Mortise and Tenon joints are still king, but biscuits weren't to shabby either. A red oak butt joint made with biscuits had a pull apart strength of 1000 pounds and a shear strength of 250 pounds........

I read that test also and came to the same conclusion that you did. M&T, biscuit, pocket screw, dowel, even plain glue joints tested just fine for more than the loads that would normally be applied to them. I'm not sure why we (readers and testers) focus on the breaking point load, when the chances of the joint ever seeing that maximum load are pretty slim.

I would be more interested in a test that shows which joint is more durable under the constant flexing and loading/unloading that some furniture is subject to.

Biscuits .... just my opinion here, and only from a woodworking hobbyist/amateur, but it seems to me that biscuits are used mostly for alignment, and the strength mostly come from the the glue joint. I know that the biscuit assists, but I don't think it carries the most of the load.

cheers

John

My lack of knowledge and expertise in woodworking, is not something I try to hide. I am somewhere past beginner, but nowhere near craftsman. I'm somewhere in the middle. :D

What I do notice though, is that alot of projects in current wood publications are using bisuits in different applications.
Such as construction of {cabinets} and construction of cabinet door frames, face frames, and attachment of all these frames to the cabinets.

While its obvious a MT joint is ten times stronger for a cabinet door, I believe the biscuit cutter is just a much faster and easier way out, but I don't necessarily feel the joint is not secure enough to hold instead of using MT joints.(or lap joints, etc). These are not real weight bearing joints, and in door construction for cabinets, or face framing, I believe the biscuits are a good way to go.

I also understand that in stating the above, many here might look at me in the same way a 80 y/o pastry baker would look at a person bringing him Dunkin Donuts for a snack.

Last edited:
Aint nuttin wrong with usin biscuits. I think they are plenty strong enough, and what ever you build will be 100 times stronger, than the cabinets from the Borg.