Width between tires on a wheelchair? UPDATE!!!

Mark Rios

Is there a standard width or an average width on an adult chair?

I need to make a small transition ramp from a porch to a threshold and I want to place a couple of support ribs approximately where the wheels will go.

I poured this ramp up to the porch.

1111ramp1.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey Mark, nice lookin concrete. If I may though, as a chair user, I would liked to have seen some curbing to prevent run overs.

Chairs are not standard width so you will have to build the ramp strong across the entire width.

Doug

Thanks to all who posted.

Here is the finished transition that will help the husband navigate the threshold. The wood is oak that I salvaged form an old pallet.
11ramp2.jpg

11ramp3.jpg

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Just wanted to show the finished ramp to those who had wondered about the ramp edge. The owners decided to go back to the brick curbing and put up railing on the porch so that the wife could go out to the porch by herself.

111ramp1.jpg

111ramp.jpg

Thanks again for all the info.

Last edited:
in local villages and towns up here, if the ramp is in front of the home, they usually make the owner landscape around it, or "hide it".

someone I know for many years, put a lift on the side of his porch for his wife to use, and the village insisted(threatened fines) he landscape around the lift.
Im not sure why something like this is considered an eyesore.
I see plenty of people who dont keep their properties neat.
Mark made that ramp look like a bricked walkway.