Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: vac filter problem

vac filter problem

I have a Shop Vac, 5 hp (that's what THEY call it), 12 gal., hooked up to my bandsaw. It is the only dust collection system I have in my shop. For me, it is important to have it when cutting Osage Orange, red cedar and spalted woods. But, I find that the filter clogs up long before and significant amount of material builds up in the tub.
    Now, I'm conflicted. Use a less fine filter and get dust back into the air I'm breathing or leave alone and put up with an inefficient unit?
    Wat do y'all do?

Same thing here

Hi Frank, Mine does the same thing. Since I have the cartridge type filter, I just take it outside, knock out the big stuff, and blow out the fine stuff with compressed air. That is after I have dumped the junk out of the bottom part. None of my shopvacs ever get full before they get clogged.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

What you need is a Mini Cyclone on your vacuum Frank, like the one I built..........

>> HERE <<

I just checked, Grizzly does not make one....... yet......

ClearVue sells a min for your shop vac.......

>> ClearVue Cyclone <<

They are $120, but I know a little while back they were on sale for $80

You can build one, trust me, I did it

The cyclone separator really works great, next to no dust makes it to the filter........ as long as you don't over fill it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks, interesting. I'll look into that.

Can you get the bags for your shop vacs? I use them in mine, they allow them to run about 100 times longer than without. I've used them in cleaning up drywall dust and can do most of a house (1/4" deep around the walls)without having to change bags.

http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=164
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I use the $20 cyclone lid from Rockler and have for years. A 5 gallon bucket, a Clean Stream filter, some extra hose and you're all set. The bucket gets about half full and if I'm not paying attention everything will then blow-by into the vac container. I can generally empty the bucket 10 times before I take the filter out and hit it with the hose.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Couldn't find anything at Rockler. Are you talking about [this Woodcraft offering]?

I have yet to put together a separator for mine, but I think i may do so one day. Until then, I take my 1/4 sheet sander and a little piece of router pad (those nonslip things) and jitterbug the heck out of the vac (right there on top of the motor). this shakes loose a lot of the clogged debris and buys me another few minutes of vacuuming.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Couldn't find anything at Rockler. Are you talking about [this Woodcraft offering]?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Rockler had stopped carrying those. I have the large Woodcraft version (30 gallon trashcan on a 4" hose setup) and it works well. It does put a hit on the DC so I only use it with real chip-makers. The small one doesn't seem to mind as it is a vacuum, not a DC. I think Woodline carries the "Rockler" version without the internal elbow but their site is down right now and I can't check. Sorry again for the misdirect on Rockler.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post

I've got the same separator on my shop vac, and I believe I got it from Grizzly, so Frank should still be able to get it from them if he wants.

It's works pretty well, especially for separating out the bigger chips.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com