vac filter problem

Frank Fusco

I have a Shop Vac, 5 hp (that's what THEY call it), 12 gal., hooked up to my bandsaw. It is the only dust collection system I have in my shop. For me, it is important to have it when cutting Osage Orange, red cedar and spalted woods. But, I find that the filter clogs up long before and significant amount of material builds up in the tub.
Now, I'm conflicted. Use a less fine filter and get dust back into the air I'm breathing or leave alone and put up with an inefficient unit?
Wat do y'all do?

Same thing here

Hi Frank, Mine does the same thing. Since I have the cartridge type filter, I just take it outside, knock out the big stuff, and blow out the fine stuff with compressed air. That is after I have dumped the junk out of the bottom part. None of my shopvacs ever get full before they get clogged.

What you need is a Mini Cyclone on your vacuum Frank, like the one I built..........

>> HERE <<

I just checked, Grizzly does not make one....... yet...... ;)

ClearVue sells a min for your shop vac.......

>> ClearVue Cyclone <<

Mini%20CV06.jpg

They are $120, but I know a little while back they were on sale for $80 :dunno:

You can build one, trust me, I did it :D

The cyclone separator really works great, next to no dust makes it to the filter........ as long as you don't over fill it :doh:

I use the $20 cyclone lid from Rockler and have for years. A 5 gallon bucket, a Clean Stream filter, some extra hose and you're all set. The bucket gets about half full and if I'm not paying attention everything will then blow-by into the vac container. I can generally empty the bucket 10 times before I take the filter out and hit it with the hose.

I have yet to put together a separator for mine, but I think i may do so one day. Until then, I take my 1/4 sheet sander and a little piece of router pad (those nonslip things) and jitterbug the heck out of the vac (right there on top of the motor). this shakes loose a lot of the clogged debris and buys me another few minutes of vacuuming.

Couldn't find anything at Rockler. Are you talking about [this Woodcraft offering]?

143868_230.jpg

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Rockler had stopped carrying those. I have the large Woodcraft version (30 gallon trashcan on a 4" hose setup) and it works well. It does put a hit on the DC so I only use it with real chip-makers. The small one doesn't seem to mind as it is a vacuum, not a DC. I think Woodline carries the "Rockler" version without the internal elbow but their site is down right now and I can't check. Sorry again for the misdirect on Rockler.

Last edited:
You can use a buck of water to catch the dust before it hits your shop vac. This a very cheap solution. Just do not let the water sit around to long.

Frank...

I have a Fein vac which I would connect to a disc sander, and also use to sweep up the shop. Same problem as you experience...filter clogs way before the tub fills.

Also have a Grizzly G1028 that's connected to the jointer, planer, tablesaw, bandsaw and shaper (with blast gates). Grew tired of emptying the dust bag...always waited too long...what a mess. Finally built a little stand for the impeller/motor combo, stashed the bags and carriage somewhere in storage, and routed the 6" pipe directly out through a window (plywood insert). Works like a charm. Can't remember when I last cleaned a dust collector. Also rigged up a second hose that I connect with a quick-connect that has the 2-1/2" wand from an old shop-vac...use this to vacuum the shop. Everything goes directly outside, and no worries about what might be getting through the micro bag. At first I thought I'd build some sort of bin outside that I could empty with a shovel/wheelbarrow, but it hasn't been necessary. There's a pile of chips out there, but it isn't huge. So out it goes, and where it lands I care not...one of my better decisions.

Cheers.

Frank...

and routed the 6" pipe directly out through a window (plywood insert). Works like a charm. Can't remember when I last cleaned a dust collector. Also rigged up a second hose that I connect with a quick-connect that has the 2-1/2" wand from an old shop-vac...use this to vacuum the shop. Everything goes directly outside, and no worries about what might be getting through the micro bag. At first I thought I'd build some sort of bin outside that I could empty with a shovel/wheelbarrow, but it hasn't been necessary. There's a pile of chips out there, but it isn't huge. So out it goes, and where it lands I care not...one of my better decisions.

Cheers.
Hmmmm, you obviously do not live in a subdivision with your neighbors only 20' away!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You guys are a hoot.

Actually when I lived in Fountain Valley, CA, I probably wouldn't have done this. On the other hand when I lived in Fountain Valley I was a computer guy, and I'd be embarrassed to tell you the tools I owned then (and how many times I cut myself on them). But lots of years under the bridge (or wherever they go), and I now live on a 10-acre parcel in Bucks County, PA. My neighbor has 22 acres, and she likes things "natural". Who could ask for more. I will say that when I lived in Boston (after CA) it was on 2 acres, and I'd have implemented this plan there. So you don't really have to be out where nobody can hear your cry for help. I understand the thing about lawns...don't want your neighbor accusing you of bringing down property values, etc., but I think the outside bin would prevent that. My original reason for thinking about an outside bin was to make it easy to collect the chips to add to the garden, but I've been spending so much time in the shop that the garden is now all chicory (leggy but pretty...maybe even useful if I ever get the time.......).

Anyway, my point is you don't have to be Jeremiah Johnson for this to be a viable solution. Pipe everything outside...somehow acceptably...and you won't be sorry.

Cheers.

Ed, one of my goals in life is to own a piece of property where I can vent my DC outside and not worry about the neighbors. You are fortunate to live where you do. :thumb:

We're currently on a pretty big lot (by Los Angeles standards), but I'd still like to be farther away from any neighbors.

I have a Shop Vac, 5 hp (that's what THEY call it), 12 gal., hooked up to my bandsaw. It is the only dust collection system I have in my shop. For me, it is important to have it when cutting Osage Orange, red cedar and spalted woods. But, I find that the filter clogs up long before and significant amount of material builds up in the tub.
Now, I'm conflicted. Use a less fine filter and get dust back into the air I'm breathing or leave alone and put up with an inefficient unit?
Wat do y'all do?

Cheap inexpensive call it what you may a pantyhose top with the legs tied off wrap it around the filter with the waist band trapped between the filter & vac housing.

When you hear the vac start to labor raise the lid & snap the pantyhose in a couple of places. I know there will be those that have ways to fix the problem where you'll have to throw money at the problem but do you use the Band-saw every day all day long? You can also make your own lid for a 5 gallon bucket & if you want more holding room make a lid & buy a smaller metal or plastic garbage can.

Last edited:
Though my Ridgid vac is not set up to use bags, I rigged up a tube at the inlet to which I attach one of the big Shop Vac brand bags if I'm gonna be doing a lot of stuff that creates fine dust. I can actually explode those bags before the filter clogs since they are not as large as the inside of the vac can.

Frank...

routed the 6" pipe directly out through a window (plywood insert). Works like a charm. Can't remember when I last cleaned a dust collector..

thankyou. Ive been using my Genie vac(18 years old) and I break my back picking up dust and chips.
I never really liked one neighbor, and this sounds like a good thing to let him know exactly how I feel about him. Im thinking how great it would be if I could direct the hose towards his dining area.(ofcourse Id have to cuta hole in the garage wall or put another window in)