A small arch top wine cabinet

Thank You Vaughn :) :wave:

#2 The blue denoted top shelf is cut and marked "A"

.[/quote]

Let us take the top shelf, marked "A" and attach it to the arch.
diameter of the arch in place.jpg
diameter of the arch in place (1).jpg

Here you can see the screws that help secure the diameter in place.
Screwed diameter.jpg

Guess it is time to dismantle the jig:doh:.:rofl:
pu dismantle the jig.jpg
pulling the arch jig apart.jpg
pulling the arch jig apart (1).jpg
pulling the arch jig apart (2).jpg

And then extracting the "too long" nails and staples that came out the back side.
pulling metal from the back side.jpg

Sometimes the jig is more beautiful than the piece jigged! :eek::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:
Fine art pattern.jpg

This jig will be mounted and shown for sale at a later date.:D

Last edited:
Thanks Allen :wave:,
Just doing my job, like so many others, my job just seems to be wood related.:D

The sweet part of this deal here is that
with these pre-cut pieces
all the pieces close up (2).jpg

the box is a simple nail together.
box building.jpg

Once the box is made, the arch can be set on top and attached.
fitting the arch.jpg

fitting thee arch.jpg

fitting thee arch (1).jpg

Fittingthe arch.jpg

fitting the arch (1).jpg

Just prior to all this I traced the shape and size of the space to be used for the wine bottles, on cardboard which I laid under the box, once it was nailed together. Thought:type:... easier to work this (the box) now that when it has the arch attached.

The arch came out looking good, Shaz. :thumb: That bendy plywood looks like fun. I started sketching ideas last night for a project that would require couple of "S" shaped torsion boxes. I suspect if I build the project, I'll be using some of the bendy stuff myself.

robert, are you cutting your own trim mouldings? Should be interesting trimming that round top.

on another note, please take care of you and all family and stay safe,this next few days, I hear this one may hit Houston with some intensity.

Can't wait to see how you will trim this "box" out.

I have to tell you, although you are making this seem easy, I think I will stay with straight lines for a while longer.:)

The arch came out looking good, Shaz. :thumb: That bendy plywood looks like fun. I started sketching ideas last night for a project that would require couple of "S" shaped torsion boxes. I suspect if I build the project, I'll be using some of the bendy stuff myself.
Hi Vaughn :wave:,
Thanks. The stuff works well when layered and attached to a form. Will be interested in those sketches coming to life! The idea of the curve form torsion box is stimulating...S :)

robert, are you cutting your own trim mouldings? Should be interesting trimming that round top.

on another note, please take care of you and all family and stay safe,this next few days, I hear this one may hit Houston with some intensity.
Hi Allen :wave:,
I have done the molding for this one and it is simple once you see it done and understand the concept. My way is just the way I did it for this project. I will be beginning to post that soon.
Thanks for your concern. Ike is gone but just last night they said there are still 491,000 people without power. My shop has no power so I am just fooling around near home.:dunno:...S

Can't wait to see how you will trim this "box" out.

I have to tell you, although you are making this seem easy, I think I will stay with straight lines for a while longer.:)
Hi Bill :wave:,
Stay with straight as long as you want, but remember if you get excited about a curve here or a curve there in a project, you can do it with the help folks will offer you from FWW.
Thanks for saying "Although you are making this seem easy". I am trying my best to be as thorough and inclusive as posssible. I want you to see all the ingredients that go into the finished product. So many things in woodworking are just concepts ready to be grasped and made use of. ..S:).
It has been awhile since I posted here as the Ike Miester turned thing topsy turvy in Houston and all around. Will try to continue with this thread to completion as the energy allows.
Shaz :)

Hey Shaz,

Looks like things are starting to settle back down for you. At least you are able to address this thread!:thumb:

I haven't kept up with this as much as I would like, but you are really making some progress. I like the way the top sets on the rest of the box. Will you add some filler strips on the sides of the box under the "legs" of the arch? I'm guessing it will be covered with trim and won't really matter.:dunno:

Ed

Hope you get your power on by the time you read this post.
Mother nature never ceases to amaze me.
With all of the warning, the week of preparations, all these storms are so crippling for any large city in the direct path.

(and there is little anyone can do except get out of the way)

Hey Shaz,

Looks like things are starting to settle back down for you. At least you are able to address this thread!:thumb:
Hi Ed :wave:,
Sorry I missed your call during the hurricane. The cell phones have been doing peculiar things for some time now. Hope you are well!:)...S

I haven't kept up with this as much as I would like, but you are really making some progress. I like the way the top sets on the rest of the box. Will you add some filler strips on the sides of the box under the "legs" of the arch? I'm guessing it will be covered with trim and won't really matter.:dunno:
You are absolutely correct on that one. The trim will cover the thickness descrepancy created by the different layers of the arch's bending ply and the standard 3/4" ply cabinet below.:thumb: Good vision!

Ed

Hope you get your power on by the time you read this post. Thanks Allen, but no, not yet.:doh:..S
Mother nature never ceases to amaze me.
With all of the warning, the week of preparations, all these storms are so crippling for any large city in the direct path.

(and there is little anyone can do except get out of the way)
Hi Allen :wave:,
So right on that one. Amazing how far north it went causing problems. I am one of the lucky ones!
Will proceed as usual.. later:rolleyes:

With the cabinet built, the time had come to build the wine rack dividers. They figured 10 1/2" plus or minus would work. That size square would hold 9 bottles of wine, rather than the indivdual bottles.

Don't get real excited, I don't mortise and tenon, biscuit or dowel, I just lick'um and stick'um!:eek::rofl:
Actually I try to use what I think is the proper number of nails, the right size, in the right place with glue.:dunno: It has worked for me numerous times:huh:. I don't know why:rolleyes:.

The layout occurs for me in scale.
a initial layout.jpg
#1. I draw the cavity size (into which my wine rack insert will fit) on plywood, figure the best spacing that works for maximum wine holding and design (in this case the center was a good place to have my main points hit).a center joint.jpg

#2. To draw the wine rack on the plywood, just rip a long strip of the wood you will use for the dividers, not real thick maybe 1/2" (my dividers are 3/4" domestic birch plywood ripped the same width as the cabinet walls). This will used to traced, on both edges,the dividers on the plywood.
#3. After measuring to find the center (left to right, or vice versa:rolleyes:)
#4. I measured up each side (vertically)that same distance (1/2 the width of the cavity). Now, by connected the dots we have creating a V on 45 degree angles off the bottom horizontal line.
#5. Then using the strip of the same thickness as the dividers will be, trace the other side of the strip.
#6. From this I then measured 10 1/2" and traced the markings (both sides of my strip) onto the plywood, and repeated in both directions creating the X shape of my wine rack insert with the 10 1/2" square spaces.
a corner layout.jpg
Here you can see pieces mumbered, and a plan for nailing. For me it is important to figure this stuff out first!:D
a nailing pattern.jpg
a nailing pattern (1).jpg
a nailing pattern (2).jpg
a nailing pattern (3).jpg

Once this is completed I can measure up my cut list.

I find it more fool proof for me if I draw the shape with the numbered piece and the dimension, whether it is a parallelogram, trapezoid or just a butt end with a 45 degree to the long point. All my measusrements are from the long point.
a measured cut list.jpg

Once the cut list is made the pieces can be cut.
a cut list cut.jpg

Since I have 2 radial arms set up with a common table top, one cuts 90 and the other gets set for 45. I will also use the tablesaw for some of the 45 degree cuts.
a cut list cut (1).jpg

Then it its glue and nail to fit the pre-drawn template on the plywood:rolleyes:, or as close as can be

a fitting the pieces.jpg
a fitting the pieces (1).jpg
a fitting the pieces (2).jpg
a fitting the pieces (3).jpg
a fitting the pieces (4).jpg
a fitting the pieces (5).jpg
a fitting the pieces (6).jpg
a fitting the pieces (7).jpg

waiting!

for the rest of the story? the triming out and the final finish. looks good shaz! and to keep your mind on it after your busy couple weeks latly is astounding.