Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good bowl gougeless

Good bowl gougeless

I need a good bowl gouge!! I got a couple of Sorby tool sets when I got my lathe and haven't upgraded yet. All the gouges I have are relatively shallow. They have worked fine for pen turning but I get scared every time I touch them to a bowl. Recommendations on what and where to get would be appreciated. I would like something in the 3/4 class and long. I've watched several videos of turning bowls with the gouge and still manage to get catches way too easy.

I have been making my own bowl scraper tools that utilize 1/8 x 1/2 x 4" long cobalt enhanced HSS. ( and other sizes) I am really impressed with how long they hold an edge. After I finish the latest one I'll post a picture or 2.

Paul, I'll HIGHLY recommend Thompson gouges.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

I don't think you'll find a better metal, and the price is very reasonable, especially considering how superior the tools are to HSS. You can either make your own handles, or buy them from several sources. I like the Monster Tool handles (towards the bottom of the page), but I know other guys have been real happy with Dave Peeble's handles, too.

Also, until you get more familiar with using a bowl gouge, I think you'll be happier with a 1/2" or 5/8" gouge. The 3/4" gouge is seriously big.

Hook up with Doug on the gouges, and I promise you won't be disappointed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I agree with Vaughn

Great Tools

I happen to have all kinds of suitable wood for handles. The problem will be the decision................hmmmm ......cherry, curly ash, walnut, maple, ironwood, osage, lacewood, bubinga, cocobolo,.........I doh know.....

Gee thanks Vaughn, Everything I want is SOLD OUT!!. I guess I will have to call him and put in a Please, Please order.

I will second that.
    Bill Grumbine did a 2 day demo for our Club. He did several projects (the size of the bowls were about 15"); all he used was one 5/8" Thompson V bowl gouge, one parting tool and 1 cut from the detail gouge. Except he used the skew when he demoed skew techniques. He said the 3/4" Thompson is too much for beginners; he can stall his new 3 horse power Robust with it. He emphasized that he can do that under control but we shouldn't try that at home. A smaller gouge can get you a finer finish out of the gouge. If that is my only bowl gouge, the biggie won't be my first choice.
    If you look at the comparison in this:
    http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9745
    You will notice the Thompson bowl gouge has more steel under the flute, it is more rigid than bowl gouges of some other brands of the same diameter.
    Gordon

I have 6 of Doug's bowl gouges & just recently got 4 spindle gouges. They are the best there is.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Gee thanks Vaughn, Everything I want is SOLD OUT!!. I guess I will have to call him and put in a Please, Please order.
    I've got the 5/8" V gouge, and the 1/2" V and U gouges (plus a shallow detail gouge). You'd get a lot of use out of the 1/2 guys until Doug gets the 5/8" (or 3/4") ones back in stock.

I have a cocobolo handle on my Thompson skew...cocobolo makes a great handle.
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 08-08-2008 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Ima grate typer.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

fwiw,
    Doug left 5 barns saying he was going home to spend the next couple of weeks in production mode, give him a shout and he will be able to give you an idea of what he'll have available soon.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    I happen to have all kinds of suitable wood for handles. The problem will be the decision................hmmmm ......cherry, curly ash, walnut, maple, ironwood, osage, lacewood, bubinga, cocobolo,.........I doh know.....

Here is an idea for you Paul make your handles of the same wood for say gouges & place them in a rack in say a descending size order so you know exactly where each gouge is & make the handles for each style of tool out of a different type of wood & place them in a rack in the same manner.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart