HVLP equipment.

Paul Downes

I'm thinking about getting an entry level HVLP setup. I am thinking about going with the Wagner for around $100. I can justify getting one because I need to paint the basement stone walls. What do you think? Will it work with latex? It will naturally be retired to my wood shop later.

I had the Wagner - got rid of it - not a bad unit (though for an entry level unit I'd look at the one being sold by Woodcraft). It's OK for light finishes, shellac, thinner varnishes, etc. However, to get latex thinned down enough you'd be spraying 60% water.

If you want it for the lighter weight finishes - by all means, go get one. BUT - If I were needing to spray latex on a stone wall I'd trot down to the local Sherwin Williams and rent an airless sprayer for half a day. About $35 and it will spray the heaviest latex without thinning. In the long run, it will save you a lot of work.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
I did have one of those entry level wagner sprayers and sprayed my whole shop with it. It took a while but worked fine. Danghit, I was looking forward to an excuse to get something a little more advanced.