I am so blessed

I really wish I could figure out why everyone is so down on HCA. I bought LOML a lifetime membership about 14 years ago, and we get the magazine every month. Granted, there are months when there isn't a lot of interest in the magazine, but often there are interesting and helpful articles. In all the time that David has been a member, he has never gotten a scratch pad, a drill index, nor has he been contacted to test a tool. I find it interesting that Bart has gotten four, is it now?

Also, I have to say that David is much more than a "handyman" these days and his skills are pretty sophisticated as compared to what a "handyman" might have, but it is still a good magazine. Would someone please explain to me what your problem is with HCA?

I was a member for a couple or three years before I got back into real woodworking. Aside from the drill bit sizers and a piece of foam-backed sandpaper, I did get one tool to test...a plastic utility knife. I don't remember the magazine being particularly insightful. Lots of tips, but they all seemed to be either things I knew already, or things I don't think I'd have a need to know.

I think one reason HCA gets razzed a lot is the persistent stream of promotional mail they send. For a while there, I was getting at least two spaghetti sizers a year from them, inviting me to be a member, despite the fact that I already WAS a member. They apparently buy a lot of mailing lists from other companies (magazines and such), and do blanket promotions to the whole list.

I think one reason HCA gets razzed a lot is the persistent stream of promotional mail they send. For a while there, I was getting at least two spaghetti sizers a year from them, inviting me to be a member, despite the fact that I already WAS a member. They apparently buy a lot of mailing lists from other companies (magazines and such), and do blanket promotions to the whole list.

I guess we've been lucky - never a drill index, never a scratch pad...just our magazine regularly.

Like Nancy I like the magazine and I've tested a few nice things in the past.

I'm a Life Member, but I got a renewal notice from them to renew my life membership.

I called them and asked them if they knew something about my future I didn't. Or if I was coming back after death, did they know if I was going to be better looking or richer... :)

A good friend of mine got suckered into a subscription once .. he only subscribed for a year. He let it lapse after 8 (yes EIGHT) renewal notices in 3 months. Two years later he still was getting the magazine and they started sending nastygrams about being delinquent. He called several times and they politely apologized and promised all would be taken care of.

That was 3 years ago - he still gets the rag and they still harrass him about twice a year now. Plus he still gets the drill sizer at least as frequently. He keeps an eye on his credit and said they never hit him, but if they did he'd be calling a lawyer.

They've never been quite that bad to me, but my friend's experience was enough to turn me off of a marignally useful magazine to begin with.