Sawmill for sale

Pretty high price considering. We have been trying to sell our family sawmill for several years now. Not a bad machine but it needs to have the diesel engine installed since the 327 blew its guts out. That was in 2000 and it was a 1965 327 engine...it did well for as long as it did.

We actually have a few of these old sawmills. One of the better ones was given to the Windsor Agriculture Museum to put on display.

I am not sure about the Walton's rosy picture of it,these things were down right dangerous. The odd thing is, as kids we grew up inside the family sawmill, watching dad work until we got big enough so that we could work. I knew at a very early age that there was two places on a sawmill,one was the sawyer and that was not a bad place to be.Unloading the boards that came off the mill,now that was NOT the place to be. Not only for safety reasons but because it was hard work.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Sawmill_Lane.html

Somewhat on Topic

Saw this on another site I visit. How would you like these blades working for you?

A Visit to Sturgeon's Mill, a Steam-powered Lumber Mill
Sebastopol, California

2721157585_a7bbe8369e.jpg

Sturgeon's Mill is a steam-powered sawmill in northern California.
The next demonstration dates are Sept 20 & 21 and Oct 18 & 19.
If you have any cause to be near Sebastopol, California on those
dates, why not visit?

2721983282_bafc17b81f.jpg

The first thing they did was pull the logs in with a winch.

2721157311_fbe03fb47c.jpg

They were then rolled onto a trolley cart and then wedged in place
against a ratcheting brace.

2721984214_f663dc9a4c.jpg

The whole cart is rolled in front of the massive saw blades to square it up.
Once they were trimmed of their bark, they headed into another lovely set
of blades to be cut into boards.

There is much more to see, like a vintage forklift, a log carrier, and lots
and lots of awesome hand tools. The smell of the place was an absolutely
wonderful mixture of oil and sawdust. Definitely worth a trip!

We were up to Leonard Mill's, a 1790's saw milling historical site here in Maine. Anyway their up and down saw mill is water powered and I would say maybe a stream of water 2 feet wide was tumbling over the water wheel.

I was amazed that "trickle" could power a blade through a tree, but when one of the dogs holding the log let go, that blade was taking that log (18 inches in diamter) and just pounding it up and down like a match stick. It was shaking the entire building!! I am not kidding you, the stream of water was barely more then 2 feet wide. You had to see the power of water falling over a big water wheel to really see the power of falling water. (Granted the gearing might have had something to do with the power ratio as well).

Gear_Reduction.JPG