Lidded Box Elder Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is one I started months ago, and circumstances dictated that I finish it up rather quickly this past week. It's flame box elder (with a bit of bonus curl here and there), about 10 1/2" tall and 6" or so wide. Finished with Minwax Antique Oil and a lot of hand-rubbing to get the finish as smooth as possible, then three-wheel buffed.

If it looks like a funeral urn, it's because it is. This is for my wife's mother, who passed away a week ago today (Sunday). Her health had been especially poor for for the past year or two; she finally lost her battle against age after a long and eventful life. She died in her sleep...peacefully, as far as anyone could tell.

The choice of wood species, and decision for a simple, unadorned form, were both made by my wife. I don't know if this is my best hollow form so far, but it's my most significant. It's not as perfect as I was hoping for, but then again, who is? My mother-in-law was one of my biggest fans, so I suspect she'd approve.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Inna's Urn - 03 800.jpg Inna's Urn - 04 800.jpg Inna's Urn - 02 800.jpg Inna's Urn - 01 800.jpg

My wife lost both of her parents earlier this year, 4 months apart to the day. Condolences and best wishes - especially to your wife.

That's a very nice-looking vessel. Forgive my ignorance, but is some kind of insert usually placed inside? :dunno:

Vaughn sorry to hear about the loss. We lost my dad, two weeks later to the day her dad and 2 months later her stepdad all this year.

That is a beautiful piece and I am sure your MIL would approve. Very well done.

Vaughn condolences to you and your wife at this sad time. Your urn is beautiful and I'm sure you MIL would like the thought that her SIL hand made this special place for her. My familys thought's will be with your wife and your self.

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll pass them along to my wife.

...Forgive my ignorance, but is some kind of insert usually placed inside? :dunno:
The inside of the vessel itself is just sanded smooth and given a coat of Antique Oil. I plan to epoxy the lid into place once things have been transfered to the urn. There's a recess in the lid than fits a collar on the vessel, so there's quite a bit of surface for the glue. I've seen urns made by someone else that had threaded PVC pipe fittings trimmed to fit in the lid and top of the vessel, but I'm not aware of anything that's standardly done.

Vaughn,

I'm sorry for your loss. I think your MIL would say the vessel is perfect.

Take care and my family's thoughts are with you and your wife.

Lee Laird

sentiment

well that is fine vessel vaughn and i am sure that the love she had for you and her daughter was returned equally and this shows that the love will forever be felt and thats what anyone can ask for from there loved ones ,,,very fine job and your gift that she saw earlier is still being represented for her in the future:thumb:

Vaughn, my sincerest sympathies are with you and your family. I'm sure if she were able to tell you your mother in law would be proud of your work.

Vaughn

That must have been an emotional piece to make. It has turned out perfect as far as I can tell. The loss of a loved one is always an emotional roller coaster.

I am sure she would(is) honored at your gift.

Garry