Wood Id contest

Keith July

Here are a couple of pictures from the Christmas dinner for the Mid_Michigan Woodworkers Guild.
As part of the dinner entertainment we had a wood identification contest.S2010002.jpg

S2010005.jpg

S2010006.jpg
On the table with the wood samples are the prizes that were donated by a local lumber supplier/tool store. They also donated some of the wood samples.(I do know know if I can post their name) Speaking of wood samples....Thank you:thumb: to Stu Ablett and Steve Ash for their donations. I am sorry to say that these guys could not make it to the dinner. Maybe next year.
Each member/guest was given a list of the 44 wood samples. The goal was to match the number under the sample with the name on the list.
25 correct answers collected the first prize.
I was going to take a picture of the food but I was a little slow on the shutter:eek:
The truth is while everyone was busy trying to figure out the wood identification contest.... well it's a good thing that there was alot of food.

Keith

...uh Keith, about those wood samples...you aren't keeping them are you? I got a couple of pens I was figuring on making with those blanks.:eek:

Kidding, I'm glad you guys had a great time, wish I could have been there, but with the opportunity I had to be with my dad, for the occasion it was, I just had to go.

I didn't know that Stu was supposed to be there, maybe next year Stu? Keith will pay for your plane ticket in appreciation for the wood donation.:D

...uh Keith, about those wood samples...you aren't keeping them are you? I got a couple of pens I was figuring on making with those blanks.:eek: finders keepers

Kidding, I'm glad you guys had a great time, wish I could have been there, but with the opportunity I had to be with my dad, for the occasion it was, I just had to go.Don't blame you . I would do the same in a heart beat.

I didn't know that Stu was supposed to be there, maybe next year Stu? [B]Keith will pay for your plane ticket in appreciation for the wood donation.:D[/QUOTE][/B]Steve...always trying to spend my money.

Huh, they have airport and planes out where you guys live :eek:

Well they have airports and planes to Detroit...to get the rest of the way you'll need a hot air balloon, but don't worry about a place to land it...we got plenty of fields.

Back on topic....Keith I'm sure you can reference the good people who donated all those good prizes...a plug never hurts and there are quite a few members here from Michigan who might want to do business with those fine folks.:thumb:

I couldn't even name 25 woods much less identify a pece of them.

Let's see...there's oak, white oak, "golden" oak, poplar, painted poplar, unpainted poplar, cherry, walnut, oiled cherry, oiled walnut, mahogany, mahogany veneer, driftwood, dead wood...which leads to Natalie Wood which leads to hardwood which leads to hard maple, maple, curly maple, quilted maple....oh yeah, and pine. Is that 25? :dunno: :D

Let's see...there's oak, white oak, "golden" oak, poplar, painted poplar, unpainted poplar, cherry, walnut, oiled cherry, oiled walnut, mahogany, mahogany veneer, driftwood, dead wood...which leads to Natalie Wood which leads to hardwood which leads to hard maple, maple, curly maple, quilted maple....oh yeah, and pine. Is that 25? :dunno: :D

You forgot my favorite kind....................

FREE wood :thumb:

Nope, that's only 21. But there's also "Ed Wood" (22), "Norwegian Wood" (23), and "James Woods" (24 and 25).

My problem is that I know at least 25 "species" of exotics...almost all of which turn out to be "mahogany" in some obscure African or South American language. Ah, the magic of marketing!