3 Atlas Pens

Alan Trout

I have not had much turning time. Work has been pretty busy the last couple of weeks and have wanted to try my first hollow form. Well I decided since I had a little bit of time and wanted to learn some new techniques and get some instant gratification I would do some pens. I have turned a couple of slim lines at my local Woodcraft but never anything for myself. I have wanted to try the BLO/CA finish because I think it is probably one of the more durable pen finishes. Here is what I finished with. The one on the left is an acrylic that I did for my wife. It is just a pomegranate silver metallic swirl blank. The middle one is camphor burl that I did for myself and the one on the right is a piece of gaboon ebony I plan on giving that pen as a gift to my mother-n-law. The wood pens are finished with the BLO/CA sanded to 2000 and then polished with Novus plastic polish. The acrylic is just wet sanded to 2000 and the polished again with the Novus.

I like this kit. It is of good quality and make a very elegant comfortable writing pen. I like all the pens but the ebony to me is so simple, and the ebony is so black is looks like it is a piece of acrylic. Very understated but elegant.

Sorry again for the poor photo my wife has the good camera with her on vacation.

Let me know what you think

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_4668.jpg
    IMG_4668.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 35
Those are really nice Alan, glad you got the time to do them and took the time to share.

I'd not seen that kit before, very nice.

Your picture is just fine too! :thumb:

Thank's for the kind words and encouragement. Hopefully I will get a chance to start a hollow form and learn a little more. I think I will continue to fill is with a pen or two. They make nice quick gifts.

Alan

Very nice pens Alan, I'm sure you, your wife, and your mother-in-law will enjoy the gifts.

May I ask how working with the camphor burl is? I bought some nice sized bowl blanks and haven't had the time to turn them yet. The pieces I bought look and smell very nice, curious how it is to work with.

I like the way it cuts. It cuts very easy with not much tear-out. And gives the shop a great smell. I find it does have a bit of oil to some pieces.

Alan