Collared Curly Maple Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I roughed this one out a long time ago, and finally pulled it off the shelf and finished it. The vessel part of it was the first piece of wood I turned on my Powermatic. I started out planning to make a bowl, so I started out with a small faceplate attached. As I started shaping it, I saw the figure and decided to make a hollow form instead. I had to enlarge the opening to get rid of the faceplate screw holes, so it got collared with a scrap piece of walnut.

It's about 3 1/4" high and 7" wide. Finished with a few coats of Antique Oil and 3-wheel buffed.

HF045 - 01 800.jpg HF045 - 03 800.jpg HF045 - 02 800.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Heck, I had to look to see the collar, the rest of the piece just simply demands your attention!

great piece Vaughn, when is your next show?

Stu :wave:

Stu, here's what's currently on the calendar for shows...

Upcoming Shows

There are a few others I'm considering, but I need to avoid working my booth bunny too much, or else she gets cranky. ;)

Here's hoping the current economic issues won't kill sales. I need to get busy and build up my stock...with a few lower-priced items in the mix, too.

That's a beautiful form, Vaughn and the wood is spectacular. Even without a reason, I like to see collars on hollow forms, too. They just seem to accentuate an already good looking piece.

Vaughn,
That piece turned out very nicely!!!

Am I the only one that sees a mustang kicking in the spalted figure of the middle to upper right portion of pic #2?