Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl's Wall

Tokyo Japan

The Girl's Wall

I'm about to embark on a little project, that I've been meaning to do for a while, and now I'm stuck doing it with a set deadline

When we rebuilt our house, the "Girl's" bedroom was designed as one large room for the two sisters, who were quite young at that time, 7 & 5 years old, to be exact, Now, seven years on, the two girls really, REALLY want their own rooms I figured this would happen, so I had the original room built with two doors, two windows, two closets, two lights, two light switches, and even two air cons.

The structure was built under the floor, wall and the ceiling to add a wall at a later date...... that later date is now.

I want to make the wall fairly sound proof, so I'm building a Double Stud wall, using 2x6 as plates, top and bottom and 2x4s as the wall studs, staggered so that I don't have any part of the two sides of the wall touching, which should cut down on the sound transmission, I hope. I'll also not put any electrical outlets into this wall.
    Attachment 22837
    Not a real exciting picture, but you get the idea.
    After the wall is built, I have to then convert a bunk bed into two loft beds, all by the 20th, when they get home.....

I've got my work cut out for me alright......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    I'd say the hardest part will be getting the wall out of the dungeon and upstairs into the bedroom.

How long is this wall? I'm guessing you'll have it framed in less time than it takes to go buy the wood. What wall material will you use? Sheetrock? That might take some time to hang, joint, and finish. I guess this is one of those times when being a day ahead of the rest of us is not such a good thing.

Good luck. We know you can pull it off.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Yep, should frame up easily, I'll use my nail gun.

The wall is 203 cm long (just a around 6') and 241 cm tall (just under 8')

I'm using 9 mm (3/8") thick plywood, covered with 12.5 mm (1/2") thick sheet rock.

I only have to use 9mm (3/8") thick sheet rock but the 12.5 mm (1/2") stuff was only a buck a sheet more, and I figure the 1/2" thick stuff will be better for noise reduction, and such. The 3/8" plywood sheet behind the sheet rock is so I don't have to worry about hitting the studs etc for hanging a picture or what have you.

I'll then mud it and put up wall paper, my most favorite job At least the wall paper is the wide stuff, 90 cm (3') so it will only take a couple of few sheet per side, and this time, the store had the J-bead for where the new wall butts up against the old wall and ceiling!

Happy Days!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

North West Indiana
    When we added onto our house, the girls also wanted their own rooms. The dividing wall is much the same as you describe and what I did and the girls have loved is: divide the wall into two halves, left and right. Deal with the left side first, perfect that you went with 2X6 as that is what we did. Install shelves between studs. Make a couple shelves taller (for dolls) shorter (for knick knacks) and from floor to ceiling make this half all shelves. Now go into the other room and put a back on these shelves. Top half of this back I made into a bulletin board for the other daughter. Then all you have to do is make an exact copy of shelves on the other side so they don't argue who has more shelves. Actually you can make all of the shelves at once then apply the back according to whose room it belongs to. Each gets shelves for their "collections" and each gets a bulletin board. Worked very well for us.

On another note, for my brother, someone built a set of bunk beds in the center of the room but put a side on one side for the one bunk, a side on the other side for the other bunk so even though they were sleeping in bunk beds, they had some privacy as well as got up in different/individual rooms.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, just thought I would put them out there for you.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

DSM, IA
    Stu, you do have a lot to do before they return...good luck!

The staggered stud wall reminds me of a summer during college building duplexes...used a similar wall to seperate them. Long boring summer framing at least 10 of the exact same building in a long line down the street...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Piece of cake for you! You'll have it done before lunch!
    Seriously, I'm impressed with the forethought that went into the space! Dad was looking out for his little girls!
    It looks like you are doing all the right things to limit sound transmission. Just make sure you seal the top/bottom/sides where you use the J molding. (i.e. when the wall goes up, before the sheet stock goes on.) Any "leaks" and the extra work on the wall is moot.
    Good luck on the schedule. I'm sure all the girls will be thrilled (I'm including Mom here as well.)

Sacramento, CA
    No sympathy!!! None!!

This is your karma for all those Xmas reminders you get so much joy out of posting. Your chickens have come home to roost, sir!

I wish i'd thought of the double stud wall when I built my compressor/dc closet in the shop. Doh!

Okay - lessee here ...

A half day to frame.
    Less than half a day to rock.
    A few hours to tape and mud.
    A day to dry

Half day to sand (if you mud as bad as i do, double that)
    An hour or so for 2nd coat of mud.
    A day to dry.

A few hours to sand again (see above about doubling)
    An hour or less for 3rd coat of mud.
    A day to dry.

An hour or so to sand (i usually give up before this step)
    Day to dry.

Day to dry.

Paint again?
    Day to dry.

Heck - that's only a week. You have till when? the 20th? You got an extra day! You could spend a whole day putting up base/trim at the end if you wanted!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

If you really want to insure sound suppression, you might want to insulate the wall as well.

Hempstead, Texas
    It'll probably take longer to haul the materials up to the apartment than it would take to frame the wall, tilt it up, and add the wall board. (I don't think I've ever seen 3/8" thick sheetrock????)

PS:If you texture those walls you won't have to sand the mud joints before painting.

Tokyo Japan
    Well, I got a good start today, at the very least, I've made a space I can work in, which was a challenge, I cannot believe that amount of stuff those two girls stuffed into that room

Most of it is in one room now, and one hallway is also FULL of stuff

Some "Before" pics..........

Attachment 22844 Attachment 22845
    Two views through the doorway

Attachment 22846
    A view North

Attachment 22847
    A view South

I've since removed the bunk beds and almost everything else in the "North" room, to have some space to work.

I'll be building the wall in place, there really is not enough room to build the wall on the floor and stand it up

When I was out at the DIY place getting stuff, I was picking through the stack of 2x4s, at $4 each for 8 footers, I was sure to avoid some of these lousy ones........

Attachment 22848

Oh yeah, it was HOT that day, the "Official" temp was around 36C (69F) but my van has an "Outside Temp" thing that shows how hot it really was out in the parking lot.....

Attachment 22849
    ...... that is HOT and it was/is really humid too.

Greg found me this site....... >> Sound Proofing 101 << ......... which has some great info and ideas, the first is to split the sole and top plates so they are really independent, this will really make two walls.........
    and if you were wondering how I rip an 8' 2x6 down the middle.........
    Attachment 22852
    ....... just open the hatch

The second great idea is the use of the silicone sealer as a vibration damper, this should work well.

Attachment 22853
    This is what they are talking about in the above linked site, should work, I'll also only be putting in half a dozen screws, so as to not over squish the silicone, and once the silicone is dry, I'll remove the screws, as the silicone will hold the drywall in place as well as screws, if not better.

I've also decided, I guess, to forget about the layer of plywood, and just go with two 1/2" thick layers of sheet-rock.

I also bought enough bats on insulation to weave between the studs, which is suppose to help.

I guess I'll know in a few days!

William Arthur Ward