The Girl's Wall

OK, I got the first layer on one wall all up and siliconed, worked slick!

kids_wall_build_304.jpg
First bead of silicone, nice fat bead :thumb:

kids_wall_build_303.jpg
First sheet in place :D

kids_wall_build_302.jpg kids_wall_build_301.jpg
My camera was acting up, so I took two pics of the first layer finished, with different setting. On to the first layer on the other wall.

Cheers!

And the first layer on the second wall, done...........

kids_wall_build_305.jpg

Now I have to wait until tomorrow for the silicone to dry, then the second layer on each wall. I also got the rest of the drywall humped upstairs, not easy getting them sheets up the spiral stairs

I did a little test, I put the radio on at a reasonable volume, what I'd consider OK for night time listening, and close the door to that room, then went to the other room and closed that door, and I had to try really hard to hear the radio in the next bedroom, so I'd say this method works, not perfect, but it works, and with the second layer of drywall, it should only improve.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, I'm sitting here going nuts, I'm getting the mud on the wall, and getting ready to paint after that, and I cannot find any drywall sealer :bang:

I mean what the :dunno:

I can find it online, here in Japan, but none of the DIY shops I've visited or called stock it...:huh:

They tried to sell me concrete sealer, but that is designed to keep water from going into the concrete, so I don't think that would be the best thing to put under a water based paint........ no :rolleyes:

If you could not get drywall sealer, what would you do, put on a thinned coat of paint?

Frustrating trying to do a job and not being able to find what you need to said job.

It is often the small things that you can't get here that really drive me nuts, drywall sealer, who would have thought that would be so hard? :bang:

BTW, I'm not talking about primers here, I'm talking about a drywall sealer.

I know they sell it, but I can't find it, I might have to order it online, which will take a freaking week :soapbox:

I guess them girls will be sleeping on the floor in the living room for a while :zzz:

My lovely wife did some more looking around I guess, well at least I can get the walls mudded...... but we are still not sure of what we are going to use on the walls before the paint, I'd sure like to find a drywall sealer, but I might just have to go with a regular latex primer, maybe two coats :dunno:

Oh yeah, another thing I cannot find, is a pole sander and the mesh type of sand paper stuff for drywall :(

Anyhoo, here are some more pics of the finished wall, well the putting up of the wall is done, not the mudding and taping.....

The screws have to be removed, and then the walls taped and mudded, I used the J-bead around the edges where old meets new, worked slick.

Wish me luck on the mudding, I'm not that good at it (not much practice)........ :eek:
Cheers!

Nope, we have decided to paint it, as the bed will be right against the wall, I figured that the paint will actually wear better than the wallpaper, as the wall paper we have is the "Cloth" type, and done not do well with wear and tear....... emphasis on the "tear" part....... DAMHIKT :doh:

I think I've found the stuff I want, I just hope I can find a local dealer....

This stuff.......

<< Linky Pic

All in Japanese, of course, but it does say it is a sealer for "Sekko-bo-do-" which is Drywall.

Cheers!

Stu, I've never heard of needing to "seal" the drywall. I've always just done a coat of primer and then final paint color? Maybe the drywall there is different? :huh:

I think the words "primer" and "sealer" are fairly interchangeable..... :rolleyes:

In >> THIS << video, the product that I want is explained fairly well

I'm no expert either, but I did spend part of a summer unloading trucks of drywall at construction sites, so I saw a bit of the work being done, the guys who did "NICE" work, used this kind of product.... :dunno:

I'm most likely overdoing it, but when has that stopped me :rolleyes:

Ahhhh..."Catch-on Sealer"! :doh: Finest kind! :thumb:

:rofl:

Actually, a primer has more "gripping" characteristics than a sealer...IMO. :rolleyes:

I hate cloth wp myself.

P.S. How did the sound test go with the second sheet of drywall on?

Well, I got tape and mud on one wall..........

I can sure see how you would have to do this all the time to get a good "touch" at it :eek:

Well, that is what sandpaper is for, I guess :doh:

Cheers!

Yeah Greg, sometimes you really wonder, who the heck names these product eh? :rolleyes:

The sound test, well, I got Emiko to go into Mizuki's room, and I was in Erika's room, I turned the radio on at a reasonable level, not what I would consider a "night" level, and Emiko said she could just sort of barely hear it :thumb:

I then shouted at her to "come here"....... she had to open the door to her room, then open the door to my room and she said "What did you say..........?" So while it is not "Sound Proof" I'd say it is darn good :clap: Worth the extra effort.

Cheers!

Geez, we are spoiled here in N.A. aren't we. I've got the remains of a gallon of ProBlocK in the basement. I used it for the upstairs renovations - worked very well - really did blend the textures and helped make the transition from old work seamless.

It's really looking good Stu. Getting a finish on is always a pain - no matter what the project! Good to hear (or not) the extra sound proofing work is paying off.

Wes

..............and then............ frustration set in.......... :bang:

OK, I know I'm not the best guy around for finishing drywall, but man, the cards are so stacked against me, I finally got so frustrated that lots and lots of bad words were said, tools were thrown and things were smashed, busted and tossed in the garbage :bang::bang::bang::bang::crash:

OK, I admit it, I lost it......... :eek:

First, the goof at the DIY shop sold me setting compound, I specifically asked for the NON-setting compound the kind that dries as the water evaporates, not chemically, so the half bucket of mud I had from last night is one solid rock in the bucket, toss the bucket too :doh:

next, I asked for a top coat as well as a bottom coats, he sold me two different brands of mud, both bottom coat, neither a general purpose mud, both taping or bottom coat mud :dunno:

next, I can only buy an 8" knife, and all, ALL of my joints are "butt" joints, because the drywall here does NOT have that indentation in it, like it does in the US etc, it is not a deal breaker, but doing butt joints with a 10" or 12" knife is easier, for me.

Next on the list, the mud I'm talking about is all dry mud, you got to add water and mix it, and I'm using a drill with a paint mixer paddle thing on the end of it, not as easy to do, and you have to add water, mix, add water, mix, then wait, add a bit more water and mix again, to get lump free mud, I did OK on this, not great, but OK, but, I kept getting these mystery long stringy pieces of what look like white plastic screwing up my finishing coats, I was really going nuts, then I figured it out, the paint paddle was eating the sides of the plastic bucket making all of these plastic strings, screwing up my finish coat, well that is it, I'm done for the day, I'm getting up at the crack of dawn and going out to Joyful Honda, I know they have the right tools for the job, or at least they did six months ago, the Red Devil brand, I sure hope they still have it......

It is so frustrating to not be able to get the tools to do the job right, I've been fooling with this for way too long already........... frustrated in Tokyo.......... :bang:

Reminds me of why the wall in my basement has been 1/2 finished for months. And why I told my wife I want to hire someone to do the mudding on a small project I have coming up this fall.