Post Your Woodhauler

My haulers. the '99 Dodge 1500 that has treated me well until this year. Since May, diff. has gone out, tranny has gone out, catalytic converter has gone out, muffler gave out, and now the rear speed sensor needs replacment. Oh, well.
The other hauler is an old trailer that I used for 25 years to haul single round bales of hay. Keep it around as an extra for hauling stuff, especially wood.

Attachments

• Dodge truck.jpg
    Dodge truck.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 11
Here are my two...the Lexus has hauled most of my lumber and all large tool purchases to date, but I recently got the Ford, so the Lexus can go back to being a car.

HPIM1130 800.jpg

The Ranger was a hand-me-down from my dad within the past couple of months. It's got 230,000+ miles on it, but it's still running strong. (It has the 4.0L V6, 5-speed stick and manual 4x4.)

Ranger 1 800.jpg

The truck also has a Tommy Lift on the back. My dad had it installed earlier this year to help move my mom's electric wheelchair. Now neither Mom nor the wheelchair are among us, but I'm hoping to exercize the lift gate with a few pieces of equipment or big chunks of turning wood.

Ranger 2 800.jpg

here's my current ride

proof001.jpg

and my old wood hauler:

notwimpyvan.jpg

complete with a Haul of Cherry! *sigh* just gathering sawdust these days.

DODGE

Frank, DODGE's are known for bad tranny, rear axle and if 4x4 king pins. For this reason I would not recommend getting on untill they start adressing these problems.

Did I mention that "I don't do furniture"?

2003 Acura 3.2CL (last of the "big" coupes). It will hold 2'x4' sheets of plywood/acrylic/whatever crosswise in the back seat, and 4' chunks of lumber diagonally in the trunk. For longer stuff, there's a passthrough port in the back seat, but it's really intended for skis, so the quantities (and widths) of stuff that fit it are limited. And yes, I get some odd looks at the hardwood dealer when I have them cut an 8' piece of 12/4 whatever in half. :p

(Say what you will about Home Depot, but that $20 rental truck is one of the smartest things ever done by a retail store.)

Man I like that old ride...it is just screaming for some flames on the fenders and up to the doors.

You're abosutely right. Flames would be the cooles thing on Stu's little van... :rofl:

Okay, seriously, my first thought after seeing Tod's truck... okay, actually my second thought, was how cool it'd look painted bright red. (My first thought involved it being parked in my driveway. But I know better.)

Oh yeah..

2004 Toyota Sienna. Nothing exciting, wish it had a roof rack. But great for hauling the family.

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hey what's with all these trucks? Am I the only one here that hauls wood in a boat (and on a car roofrack)?
I'd have some trouble negotiating the 210 freeway in a boat. :rofl:

I'm envious that you have a great place to go in that boat, and woodworking to do when you get there. :D <---- That's me...all green and stuff.

here`s the wifes.......every now and again i get to borrow it.....
View attachment 2020

Oh Tod, that is a beauty!

Tell your lovely wife I say :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now I know why she keeps you around, to keep her great old truck living ;) :rofl::rofl:

A buddy of mine from my hometown has a 1967 Chevy half-ton, in that real awful green they did back then. Straight 6, 3 in the tree, he bought it rather used when he was 16, his first truck, and he still has it.

He has re-ringed the motor with a valve job, we replaced 2nd gear, and we did the front suspension, knuckles etc once, otherwise it keeps on trucking.

He told me the insurance for it is more each year than the market value of the truck :eek: But he loves it, it always starts, it has not once left him stranded in 26 years, and it is build like a tank. A few small dents here and there, and some scratches, (it is a work truck) but nothing bad. He wife keeps bugging him to buy a new one, he does not see the point, this one works fine. It is not his every day driver, just his work truck, for hauling wood or gravel etc.

Wish I could do the same here in Japan, but them old trucks are pretty much gone here. :(

Cheers!

PS GREAT THREAD!! :thumb:

Frank, DODGE's are known for bad tranny, rear axle and if 4x4 king pins. For this reason I would not recommend getting on untill they start adressing these problems.

I have stopped being a Dodge fan. I learned from several mechanics that I was lucky to get 114,000 miles on my trans., many go out at about 70,000. Next truck will be a downsize to a Ranger. Or keep this for occasional use and get a car. Dunno yet.

I have stopped being a Dodge fan. I learned from several mechanics that I was lucky to get 114,000 miles on my trans., many go out at about 70,000. Next truck will be a downsize to a Ranger. Or keep this for occasional use and get a car. Dunno yet.
I must be running on borrowed time - my 2001 Ram 1500 has 118,000 and is still running strong. :)

I must be running on borrowed time - my 2001 Ram 1500 has 118,000 and is still running strong. :)

Set aside a couple thou for the inevitable rebuild. My mechanic has a couple customers who come in regularly at 70,000 for the rebuild. They like Dodges otherwise and just put up with the flimsly tranny. My old (1977) Dodge went through three trannys and two diffs. in 500,000 miles.