Thread: Gloat? Problem? Young potential woodworkers!

Gloat? Problem? Young potential woodworkers!

If you remember from my post last year, I convinced the school board that a wood turning class would be good for the students for a variety of reasons. They allowed me to purchase some wood lathes (4 Jet minis) and reopen the unused wood shop in our school. At Christmas time last year I purchased four more used Jet minis from my local Woodcraft from their classroom to bring my total to 8. Then I purchased for myself a cheapie Menard's for the length at a yard sale so we could turn staffs. Okay, here is the gloat and problem. I got my class list yesterday afternoon and I have 3 sections of 20+ students per section!!!!!!!!
    So they are going to drop 5 students from each section and possibly create another section of 15.
    The last thing in the title, young potential woodworkers, they are out there and interested.
    Will be posting their work as one of my first goals for the year is building a photo tent to create a portfolio of wood turned items for future classes to draw ideas from. Gloat over.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Now THAT's a gloat!

Congratulations!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

That's great news Jonathan. Way to push something through and make it happen!
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

That is great Jonathan! Looking forward to hearing about their progress.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Congrats! I look forward to pics of your student's work once again!

Maybe if you should look into getting one of these if you haven't already...might be a big help?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff, I have never heard of this and greatly appreciate you sending that information along!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

that my guy!!!!!

go getum tiger now ya need wood
    so i am puttin out a call for help for jons class he needs wood for thse younguns to work with ..last year they brought some from old table legs and such and scrounged to get what they need if any of you turners goat alittle extra send johns way if you could thanks this has been a paid by me politcal announcment
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks all. Yes a good feeling seeing their interest. Larry's request for wood isn't necessary as each of them will have to start scrounging now before snow sets in. Did get a nice box of blanks last year from Stu and greatly appreciated it.
    Question, do we, "Family Woodworking" have a Freedom Pen Project or Give Back project for the turners? My reason, I have contacted the commander of our American Legion about them purchasing the pen kits, I will supply the wood and have each student turn four pens for this project. If we have such a project, I would prefer it go in under this format's name.
    Jon

Dude, that is the ultimate gloat. No one can top that in terms of woodworking.

Way to go!!!

That is great. No gloat though, that is just good news for the entire woodworking community.

Its so funny because on the farm we had an unofficial farm day and it was cool to see a dozen kids just be amazed with cows and they were like sponges...just dying to learn everything about them. People can tout computers all they want, but ultimately kids want hands on stuff.

Good for you Brother...you know we are behind you.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"