Quilted Birdseye Platter

At our last turner’s meeting I picked up a couple slabs of beautiful quilted birdseye maple to see what I could turn out of them. Our meetings are held at Bell Forest Products in Ishpeming, MI and I always rummage through the cutoffs for unique pieces to turn. They are a great source for wood, especially curly and birdseye. You can check them out: BellForestProducts.com

Quilted birdseye platter, 12 ¾” long x 8 ¼” wide x 1 ¾” high at the corners. Sanded to 320 grit and only one coat of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. I will apply several coats to build up the gloss but wanted to take some photos where you could see the wood without having to fight the glare. Wish the quilting would have stood out more...

Slab of Birdseye.JPG Birdseye Platter V1.JPG Birdseye Platter V2.JPG Birdseye Platter V3.JPG Birdseye Platter V4.JPG

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Steve, couldn't you get it any thinner? :p

Wow, that is a beautiful platter. Looking forward to see that birdseye jump out of the screen with more poly on it. Well Done.:thumb:

Steve,

That is an awesome piece! Very inspiring, makes me think I might maybe want to try something like that is a smaller form. Someday...

Beautiful work, Steve. I really like the subtle curve of it when its laying flat. Also, it may be the photo,but it looks like you've left a little bow in the piece that may have been from the piece being warped??>? If so, I really like it; it makes you keep looking at it for sure. Exceptional piece.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone - I do appreciate it!

Nathan - my camera does a lot of funny tricks when it comes to close ups. As far as I know there are no bows in the piece but I wouldn't be surprised that I just didn't see it yet!