Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amer. Fab. Filter Bags - Any Users?

Amer. Fab. Filter Bags - Any Users?

I would imagine there is some improvement but, would you bother with a $110 bag for a $125 DC. My little Delta 1HP has performed admirably although it is overworked. I was planning on a Dust Gorilla but the price increase has me thinking of another solution (the shock will probably wear off).

In the meantime I was thinking of adding a custom bag from American Fabrics that will quadruple my filter area and bring me a finer filter than the OEM bags. Has anyone here tried these and are you glad? Do you wish you'd just waited another year and gotten a cyclone?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

i use a stack of `em glenn.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

You Bet! I had them make me up a 20", tapering up to 32" diameter bag that's six feet tall. It's for my Penn State 2 Hp machine. Not only does it function better; it's also about 18 dB(A) quieter than the original machine with the filter cartridge.

Mine cost me about $160, earlier this year. See this thread.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 08-15-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: corrected the measurements
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

They make a big difference. First they have better airflow, which make your dc more efficent, second they are a big set up from the flour sacks the come with most dc units.

Allll-Rightee then. Talk about your glowing recommendation. Thanks gentlemen. You too Tod .

Seriously, thanks for the input. Its great to have a place where you can ask an owner.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi Glenn - I haven't used them, but I think at $100 I'd be leaning toward a cannister that'll give you more airflow and is easier to clean. Do these bags offer a characteristic that other upgrade replacement bags don't? I had a set of the aftermarket felt Grizzly bags that I thought were a nice upgrade from the stock bags, but they were still a pain to empty. I switched to a cannister and don't think there's much comparison. I get alot more airflow and can use a clear plastic bottom bag which is easier to empty...still not pleasant but easier! Am I missing something?
    Got Wood?

Glenn,

Before you spend that kind of money, have you thought of going with one of these?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DCLID21.html

I never have to empty my bags anymore... best 30 bucks I ever spent...

It ain't a cyclone, but its much better than trying to put the bags back on the durned collector...

Thanks,

Bill

Amer. Fab. Filter Bags

These bags are great.

We here at Woodworker's Supply have been using then and selling them on our dust collectors for quite a few years. They have been fantastic. We also sell the bags as replacement bags.

Dave Laird
    D & N Specialties
    Pro Sales Woodworker's Supply
    David Laird

Pro Sales Division of Woodworker's Supply, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Hi Glenn - I haven't used them, but I think at $100 I'd be leaning toward a cannister that'll give you more airflow and is easier to clean. Do these bags offer a characteristic that other upgrade replacement bags don't? I had a set of the aftermarket felt Grizzly bags that I thought were a nice upgrade from the stock bags, but they were still a pain to empty. I switched to a cannister and don't think there's much comparison. I get alot more airflow and can use a clear plastic bottom bag which is easier to empty...still not pleasant but easier! Am I missing something?
    This is the top bag and has a large increase in surface area and better filtering than the OEM bag. I'll be able to go solid bag on the bottom and reintroduce my seperator if the math is right. I consider this a temporary improvement to a system that will be re-tasked in about a year. So for less than a penny a day and no setup time . . . . Did that sound lazy? ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-07-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Glenn,

Before you spend that kind of money, have you thought of going with one of these?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DCLID21.html

I never have to empty my bags anymore... best 30 bucks I ever spent...

It ain't a cyclone, but its much better than trying to put the bags back on the durned collector...

Thanks,

Bill
    I've got one of those. It really puts a hit on the CFM . . . BUT, (and I've said this many times) the ease of emptying the trash can up to 10 times before having to empty the bag is great.

Unfortunately, while doing some maintenance I ran my DC with the separator out of the line and got a taste of what I had become comfortable with ;-( Well, I exaggerate a bit; it's not that bad vs. the ease of dumping. With the "king size" bag I am hoping to reintroduce the separator to the system.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-15-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke