Amer. Fab. Filter Bags - Any Users?

Amer. Fab. Filter Upgrade - 3 Month Report

I ordered one today. I'll post a review after a bit of use. Thanks to all.

OK, I've been using this thing for about 3 months; time for a report. I was able to go to a solid lower bag and the increase in larger chips that I pick up is significant. I had read reviews that showed increased performance with a solid lower bag which didn't make sense to me. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

The fine dust that my ambient cleaner picks up is noticeably less as well for a given period of testing. On a more subjective note; it seems that there is less powder on everything in the shop but that's just an opinion/feeling ;).

So for folks who, like me, want to squeeze just a little more life out of their basic DC, I would say the $100 was worth it.

P.s. Wouldn't you know that thanks to some pre-Christmas contributions I now have a cyclone waiting to install :dunno:. I'm sure not complaining but still wanted to post my experience with the bag.

Hi Glenn - I haven't used them, but I think at $100 I'd be leaning toward a cannister that'll give you more airflow and is easier to clean. Do these bags offer a characteristic that other upgrade replacement bags don't? I had a set of the aftermarket felt Grizzly bags that I thought were a nice upgrade from the stock bags, but they were still a pain to empty. I switched to a cannister and don't think there's much comparison. I get alot more airflow and can use a clear plastic bottom bag which is easier to empty...still not pleasant but easier!
wink.gif
Am I missing something?

I got a Grizzly two-bagger that just moved the dust to that corner of the shop. Then I got the Grizzly felt bags, that constricted the airflow too much... half hour use, then half hour cleaning the plugged bags, then repeat. I got an AFF giant bag with a plastic bottom bag, and the DC has worked better than ever for several years. Cleaning the upper bag consists of beating the sides a few times before changing the bottom bag. I wish I had gotten a cyclone, but the three tries with the double bagger are still slightly cheaper.

I do have a trash can separator on my jointer-planer. It takes some of the suck out of the airflow, but it is near the JP and works well enough. The big advantage is that the chips are relatively clean, so people like them for mulch or compost, but the fine trash that makes it to the main unit is only fit for the dump. I probably have 10-20 or more bags of chips for every bag of dust at the main collector.