Big Funnel

Well I was in the shop last night after work. I really wanted to turn something. I had a piece of redwood that I picked up on the big auction site for .99 cents plus 10.95 shipping. Well when I got it I wasn't impressed with the wood first off but decided to give it a go. Anyway got the form nice but had a lot of tear out. So I was going to do a thin wall as I hadn't did one for a while. I got the inside finished and sanded. Turned out pretty nice. The outside I had a couple of places a little rough. So I decided to take one more shear cut. The gouge was sharp and oh such pretty angel hair shavings when the door opened and my neighbor hollered "hey Bernie can I borrow your big pipe wrench." Well you guessed it.:eek::bang: The walls were 1/8" and when he hollered I jumped. Need I say more. When I jumped I gouged a hole in the side of the bowl about 1/2 or a little more around the center.:mad::mad::mad:

Anyway he felt so bad I thought he was going to cry as he is a young guy just married a year. I couldn't get him to shush and quit saying I am sorry. I told him it was just a piece of wood.

Oh well such is life. I hope my next piece of redwood goes better and turns a little bit better. I was not impressed with this piece.

So there ya have it. The saga of a big thin funnel.

"I told him it was just a piece of wood."

Yep. No matter how nice! ;)

I hate it when that happens, but it's good to keep your sense of proportion. Heck, it's even a good thing that he comes around to borrow your pipe wrench! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bernie...

No pics, didn't happen. Which, in this case, can be a good thing. :D

Sorry to hear about the Oops. And you're right...redwood can be a bear to get a clean cut in. (At least for me it is.)

I did the same thing Pete. Almost lost a finger on the bandsaw when my sister surprised me. I am thinking seriously of putting a lock on the door with a switch to turn a red revolving light on. See what happens.

Vaughn I had a terrible time with tear out on this red wood. I even honed the gouges to make sure they were extra sharp.

That's a bummer about the funnel.

I've got my family trained not to come in and say anything when I'm using power tools in the shop. But, they will come stand right behind me when I'm at the lathe. When I turn around, I always jump because it surprises me.

I think I may try out that red light idea, too. :D

My lathe is set up so I am facing the door to the shop. Nobody can surprise me from behind. LOML knows not to surprise me when I'm using any of the power tools. If she needs to talk to me when I'm working in the shop, she opens the door, waits until I'm not in the middle of a cut, and flips the lights off then back on. I find that the light doesn't startle me nearly as much as someone trying to yell over the noise.