Thread: Some Oak

DSM, IA

Some Oak

My good friend is the head grass cutter at a country club here in town and they lost quite a few oaks this spring to a bad wind storm. He told me to come get as much as I want. They had 6 semi trailers hauled out eventualy, but I only loaded my car once. I gave him the first bowl I made with it, never got a photo.

Here is the second. It's 13" from end to end, 7" wide and about 2.5" tall I sanded the bowl and rim to 400 and added danish oil. I textured the outer part with an Oland tool moving quickly across the wood and then rubbed shoe polish across the texture. Let me know what you all think.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Kansas City, Missouri
    Nice work Jeff. Really like this one. I'm going to have to get into some turning soon, really getting inspired.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Mason Michigan
    I really like this one too!
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Tokyo Japan
    It has a very "Rustic" appearance

Good on you for rewarding your friend with the first bowl
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    Jeff, this is one of your nicest pieces yet, IMHO. Great job. I see a few tool marks that sneaked their way onto one corner of the backside, but it's nothing a bit of time with an 80 grit gouge cant fix if you decide you want to.

Keep it up!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Goodland, Kansas
    Great work Jeff on a nice looking piece.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kirkintilloch, Scotland.
    Nice looking bowl Jeff. Must have been fun turning it.
    "Every day's a school day"