End Grain Cutting boards with a different Twist

Dewayne Baker

It seems every woodworker at one time or another will make a cutting board or two. I made several in high school shop, using the long grain approach. I wanted to make a few last Christmas to gift to family and friends. I did some research and decided on end grain boards for their beauty, design potential and superior cutting surface. I have also been inspired by the end grain boards I have seen around this and other discussion forums. After plenty of research I decided on a few patterns that are a bit out of the ordinary. Here are some pictures.

finishedshot00038alt.jpg

finishedshot00009alt.jpg

finishedshot00035alt.jpg

finishedshot00001alt.jpg

I have written a complete how to tutorial and project plan, free to all woodworkers here at. http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/dewoodwork/blog/2597

The tutorial also has information on the advantages of end grain as well as how to finish and sanitise your boards.

Thanks for looking, questions and comments welcome.

Dewayne, those are just spectacular WOW :thumb:

I've bookmarked your tutorial, thanks for sharing that, I'm sure that anyone who got one of these boards as a present would be loathe to cut it with a knife!

Fantastic work! :clap:

Good to see you drop in Dewayne. Those boards are spectacular. I really like the intertwined squares. Having made a few end grain boards, I can appreciate the planning and precision necessary to make boards of this caliber. :thumb:

Wow, those are really colorful. Very nice.

What did you use for the "green" wood, Dewayne?

Mark, I believe the green wood you are referring to is the walnut. I had trouble getting good color representation in my photos. When you have time check out the tutorial, I list the species of woods used in each board.

Again, you board makers just keep impressing me with great ideas and designs :thumb:. Super job on these and on the tutorial. Once my kitchen is done I have to give board making a try.

Thanks for sharing

Tom

LOL, that's funny. So, apparently there is no green wood. :D Maybe the colors are off in my computer.

I went to read your tutorial and the colors looked the same.
In the first two boards the upper left and lower right squares look "green", the first pic a darker green and the second pic a lighter "green". And for reference, in the first pic, the opposite squares look to be purple heart and the center square looks to be walnut. In the second pic, according to your tutorial page, the opposing squares look to be oak(?).

In the third pic the outer squares look to be purpleheart and the inner squares look to be "green", with the center square again walnut.

And in the last board the inner and outer borders look to be made out of alternating maple and "green" wood, the same shade of "green" as in the second pic. The squares and crosses look to be walnut and purpleheart.

How far off am I? :D

Looking at the actual tutorial, the colors look a little different. What kind of light did you take the pics in of the final boards above?

Last edited:
Well, I saw the same "green" as everyone else, but I've convinced myself that it's an optical illusion caused by the juxtaposition of red.

When I used my hands to block out the surrounding red wood, the "green" wood suddenly took on a rich brown color, kinda like ... walnut!

Well, I saw the same "green" as everyone else, but I've convinced myself that it's an optical illusion caused by the juxtaposition of red.

When I used my hands to block out the surrounding red wood, the "green" wood suddenly took on a rich brown color, kinda like ... walnut!
Hi Kerry :wave:,
I think you may have the answer! Important consideration, the play of colors with one another in our work.
Thanks,
Shaz :)