Spoon Carving

Ed Nelson

Here's a spoon I just completed. Wood is basswood and finish is garnet shellac and wax. Let me know what you think!

IMG_05321.JPG

Hi Ed :wave:,
That is a great project. How did you do the bowl part in the oval shape and get it so smooth? It reminds me of the "Love spoon" tradition from the British Isles, or was that Austria:huh::dunno::D.
Are there others planned?
Are your kids grown?:eek::rofl: since paddles are politically incorrect:doh::rofl:
Thanks for the photo, how big is it, and is it a hang it or use it piece?
Shaz :)

Thanks guys.

Hi Ed :wave:,
That is a great project. How did you do the bowl part in the oval shape and get it so smooth? Used a bent back gouge. It dished it out nicely, then a LOT of sanding! It reminds me of the "Love spoon" tradition from the British Isles, or was that Austria:huh::dunno::D. I think the love spoon traditionally came from Ireland.
Are there others planned? You should know by now that my plans are whatever strikes my fancy (unless someone else is paying!
Are your kids grown?:eek::rofl: since paddles are politically incorrect:doh::rofl: The only kids we have are four legged and furry! LOML would kill me if I swung anything at them!:p
Thanks for the photo, how big is it, and is it a hang it or use it piece? It's about 10" long.
Shaz :)

Excellent work, Ed. That's definitely a piece to be proud of. :clap:

Thanks Vaughn!

Just impressive!:thumb: Do you have any pics of the process that you could post?

Sorry Toni, I didn't take any progress pics. I sketched the pattern and scrolled the outline then just started shaping it!

nice spoon ed!
Thanks Tod, Glad to see you posting some more! I hope things are starting to settle down for you.

Something I saw on-line.

A different take on making a spoon.

How to Make a Viking spoon

In this great little Instructable, Morfmir shows you how to make a "Viking spoon," using only handmade, historically accurate viking hand-tools.

FG5DWNBFJD52IGX.MEDIUM.jpg

You need:

1. Axe: any small hand axe will do fine. It just needs to be sharp. A good hand axe weighs around 500-600g
  2. Hammer: you need a heavy hammer. If it is to small it will not have enough force to split the wood.
  3. Wedge: A heavy iron wedge made for splitting firewood will work fine. Alternatively use a old axe and hammer it through the log. Don't use you good axe for that. You ruin the axe that way.
  4. Knife: a small sharp knife will do.
  5. Spoon knife: You need a spoon knife, in my book there are no alternatives. You will probably not find it in you local hardwarestore, but you can buy it online. The best are handforged made by Svante Djarve but you can also go after the cheap ones made by Frost Sweden.

How to make a wooden spoon, the viking way. (via Make)

Hello to you too Robert and thank you.
Ed's spoon is a work of love, the care he put into it will be cherished for years to come. As with several other posts on this site, the hand-made, one-of-a-kind objects are like giving a part of yourself to the recipient. A great example is this is Travis' gift of a wooden model tractor to his Uncle. That was a beautiful story. Not sure if this spoon is headed out as a gift, but the time, effort, and again love that went into it will survive the ages.

There were some nice woodcarved spoons and bowls at a few booths when I went to the Rhineback Ny Arts and Crafts festival.(Dutchess county fairgrounds?) They call the festival something else, I just cant remember, but its in Rhineback NY in May.
I wouldnt dare say the quality is equal to Eds spoon, but there was some fine looking pieces there as well. I wonder if anyone associated with FWW displays at that show.
I purchased some fantastic sculptures made out of copper for my kids.(and a 3 dollar super pretzel)

Last edited:
While on the subject, maybe you can help me out. I have been asked to carve some spoons, something I have never done.
First, you mention a "spoon knife", is that also known as a crooked knife? (first picture)
Or is it more of gouge? (second picture)
The gouge is mine, I have never used it because sharpening is a real task. I just don't know a good technique for sharpening other than hand stroking with fine automotive wet/dry paper.
Some might call it a bowl gouge. If that's the case, then I'm forever cursed. ;)

Attachments

• spoon knife.jpg
    spoon knife.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 5
  • carving gouge.jpg
    carving gouge.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks guys!

Frank, I've been using a #8 back bent gouge, but a crook knife would seem to be a pretty neat tool. Haven't had the opportunity to try one.