box beams in progress......

tod evans

here`s how i do `em.......marty helped me install blocking in the ceiling when he was up, then the rockers-n-painter had their stuff to do now i`m starting to put some wood in. this is a kitchen that will get the island i built a while back. the bottoms are now on but i forgot the camera:eek:.....i probably won`t get `em squirted with lacquer `till after iwf........
i`ll try to keep ya`ll updated on the progress `cause this house is going to be kinda cool in it`s own right.
MVC-741S.JPG

MVC-742S.JPG

MVC-743S.JPG

just looked at my poor quality pics........the beams form a tic-tac-toe pattern on the ceiling and are hung from plywood "crosses" and mdf blocks that are 3/8" lag bolted into the framing. there`s over 500bf of 4/4 oak in the beams and room wrap!

that your gonna spray it in place tod? if so its gonna get cloudy in there isnt it? or do you have a secret methode for that problem???:thumb::)

probably start spraying today? no secret to avoid the fumes maybe a 20$ walmart box-fan........heck i only have one functional brain cell and after all these years i`m pretty sure it`s immune to the vapors:eek:

i'd hate to see what kind of work you could do with 3 or 4 functional brain cells then tod.

beams are looking nice, what are the holes drilled in the wooden crosses for?

chris

here`s how i do `em.......marty helped me install blocking in the ceiling when he was up, (Hi Tod :wave:, Nice to see you doing this thread. Box beams have a hugh impact, and thus it is nice to see how you do them. It was interesting to note that you and Marty added blocking before the sheet rock. How do you know where to put the blocks, and why did you use them?) then the rockers-n-painter had their stuff to do now i`m starting to put some wood in. this is a kitchen that will get the island i built a while back. the bottoms are now on but i forgot the camera:eek:.....i probably won`t get `em squirted with lacquer `till after iwf........
i`ll try to keep ya`ll updated on the progress `cause this house is going to be kinda cool in it`s own right. (I'll bet it will be just great! Nice to hear you excited about it!:thumb:)

View attachment 22987

View attachment 22988

View attachment 22989

just looked at my poor quality pics........the beams form a tic-tac-toe pattern on the ceiling and are hung from plywood "crosses" and mdf blocks that are 3/8" lag bolted into the framing. there`s over 500bf of 4/4 oak in the beams and room wrap!

That is alot of wood overhead.:eek: Are you having to do that solo? Were you able to mass produce any parts to this project, or are they all one at a time?
Good luck on this one, it is gonna be great!
Shaz :)

Hi Tod :wave:,
Really nice lookin'! Bet there is great view coming up those stairs. There are stairs on the left? Does that wall present a safe over look? Really appreciate your doing this, it is a wonderful chance to watch it grow!:thumb: Thanks,
Shaz :)