Old door, old lock and small key

Hi guys.

Well... here you have the entrance of a wine cellar, it is excavated on the ground and the door was made with the reclaimed boards of a threshing board, many many years ago...

This is the door that is going to be substituted by the one I'm making.
d01.jpgd02.jpgd03.jpg
IMHO I wouldn't change it, just reinforce it and leave like that for another 50 years or more, but the owner a brother of my father in law wants it changed so:dunno:

We are going to keep the lock, the nails and of course THE KEY and put them on the new one.
The lock had some inhabitants that flew away when we removed it.
bisss001.jpgbisss002.jpg

The lock after cleaning it a bit and some close ups of the "small" key:)
d06.jpgd07.jpgd08.jpgd09.jpgd10.jpg
I will post the door project on the flatwork forum but I thought that this introduction should go here. I let in the hands of the mods to move it where they think it belongs to.

If Only

that door could talk?????what stories it would have to tell.. that is one neat lock and the door is unique as well.. keep us to daten toni on your progress:thumb:

Ok Toni I think the best thing for you to do is drop that lock and key in a box and ship it off to me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

If you are really interested I can find similar locks or keys, the most dificult thing is to find locks with their keys, but locks or keys in their own are not so difficult to find. An interesting smith project would be get a lock and reverse engineer the missing key or viceversa but would be more difficult I guess..

I think many of your old keys ended up here in the U.S. When I had my gun/antique shop in Indiana, somehow I found a source for (very large) old keys. They always came from Spain. I think I paid about 50 cents each for them and resold for about $3.00. I promoted them as keys for prison cells. That's how they were sold to me.

I think many of your old keys ended up here in the U.S. When I had my gun/antique shop in Indiana, somehow I found a source for (very large) old keys. They always came from Spain. I think I paid about 50 cents each for them and resold for about $3.00. I promoted them as keys for prison cells. That's how they were sold to me.

Well... that's quite a thing:) If they had been prison cells keys we would have been the country with more prisons in the world I guess:D and with a lot of delinquents either inside without hope of leaving because you had the key or out of them because nobody found the key to open the door and lock them in! :rofl:

Actually most country house doors and barns had and some still have those keys, but I must admit that this one is one of the biggest I've seen though.:)