I've made several of these and keep embellishing the design which is based on Norm's from the NYW. The latest embellishment was to use box joints on the coved bracket feet instead of splined miters. The box joints are super strong and I think look good, too. I also added some 1/8" Mesquite wear pads to the bottom of the feet since the Eastern Red Cedar is so soft.
Finish is two coat of BLO allowed to cure then two coats of Zinnser Seal Coat shellac followed by three coats of USL. I had some trouble with the USL "crackling" and I think it was because it was over a year old. So, I sanded it down and then applied two coats of satin Minwax Polycrylic.
That's a pretty eclectic finishing schedule but at least it turned out looking okay. This is a commissioned piece so I'll see what the customer thinks.
Thanks for looking.