Windows XP Pro Question

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Yes, I've read the instructions and help screens. :thumb:

How do you bypass the "Welcome" screen where it shows the username and a password entry block if you have a password defined? My wife and I are the only users of this computer. When we turn it on or reboot, it pauses at the "Welcome" screen and waits for a click. We'd prefer for it to roll on into the remainder of the boot process.

Maybe I'm having a brain cramp, but I can't find the answer. :dunno:

I found this with a Google search:

1) Start, Run and enter "CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2" (without the quotes)
2) Check the box, Users must enter a username...........
3) Highlight the user you want automatically logged on.
4) Uncheck the box, Users must.............
5) Click Apply
6) In the next dialog, enter the password for the account you chose in step 3
7) OK your way out.

Frank,

Thanks. That took care of the Welcome screen. Looks like I'll have to move some of my defaults around to make them come up. Things like "Favorites", etc., but at least I won't have the machine sitting at the Welcome screen now.

:)

Frank,

Thanks. That took care of the Welcome screen. Looks like I'll have to move some of my defaults around to make them come up. Things like "Favorites", etc., but at least I won't have the machine sitting at the Welcome screen now.

:)

My pleasure Bill. Not sure what you mean about moving your "defaults around to make the come up". I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Everything is cool now, Frank. I went back in to the setup window you steered me to and changed the default login.

Thanks again for your help.