New Bench Drawers in the shop.

Kevin Vernon

Alex's "Little Shop Upgrade", up there in Flatwork, reminded me that I have yet to post piccys of my latest addition.

In the never ending quest for additional shop space/storage/organization, I have added a set of drawers under a bench in my shop.

Here's the bench & it's attendant mess before the addition:
2155229820_c0e2e5acbe.jpg

Now it has a whole NEW mess, but with some drawers under it. :rofl:
2756374806_2b430849fd.jpg

2756373974_10d574c182.jpg

You can see from this one that I left just enough space between the top of the cabinet and the bench top rail to fit some clamps into.
2755538075_8e377a3429.jpg

And here's one of a drawer.
2756376176_30b2fca675.jpg

Pretty simple, really - just 3 panels of 3/4 ply, with a couple of stretchers across bottom, top & back to hold the shape - and false fronts on the drawer boxes sized to hide the raw ply edges - I wasn't gonna bother with a face frame for a simple utilitarian shop cabinet. The drawer boxes are 1/2 ply, with 1/4 ply bottom, lock-miter routed for assembly. And the false fronts - that's where I got tricky - the bottom pair are red oak, middle pair are poplar & the top pair are pine, with a fairly simple profile routed around the edges, then I hit them all with a coat of the same light stain/poly combo, just to see how this stain looked on these different woods. I see the thing as not only expanded storage space, but a comparative finishes experiment, at the same time.

Full-extension 100 pound slides for the drawers, as well - I figure I'm gonna load a shop drawer down & abuse it, right?

Thanks for looking.

-Kevin in Indy

Looks great, Kevin. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what kind of wood you used for the drawer fronts. Now I see it was a trick question.

Looks good, and the clamp rack is great. A place for clamps is nice, they always seem to get in the way if they do not have a home.