Weightligting equipment question

Ned Bulken

My teenage sons were given a weight bench last year. Unfortunately the weights and bars came without the collars to keep the weights on the bar.

Anyone know of a good source for just the collars? My wife, normally an excellent shopper, says that none are available locally without buying a whole new bar.

I'm fine with that, if it will keep the boys happy... and help them train for sports etc...

TIA

and incidentally, they jollied me into a bit of lifting tonight... 4 reps of 120lbs with them spotting. oof

Ned, Play It Again Sports always has great deals on weights and weight equipment in town here....or maybe try craigslist?

Ned, Play It Again Sports always has great deals on weights and weight equipment in town here....or maybe try craigslist?

supposedly she checked there already...

Try Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. Folks seem to give up on the exercise thing pretty readily and donate their weights. Stuff is very cheap.
yep, that's about how we got this set... kid gave up, mother gave it away...

Here or the manufacturer, if known(?).
hmmm, she was At dicks B&M store last night too... Thanks!
With the amount of weight you are dealing with, a simple turned collar with a bolt will work just fine.
cool... now where's that lathe, extension cord, grinder....

Excellent idea Barry!

yup, bet they'd love it.

those clamps that Glenn linked to work well.

When I was lifting, I never bothered with the collars.... it took too much time.

You might consider doing without the collars. I lifted weights for years (starting when I was about 15), and never used them. Without them, it forces you to properly balance the bar, which reduces the chance of injury.

And of course if you find yourself without a spotter and can't get the bar back on the bench, it's just a matter of a slight tilt to rid the bar of the weights :)

Brad

One rule I have with my boys is that they have to have at least one spotter, so I don't think the tip suggestion will come into play too much. There's my two sons and a buddy who visits to lift/hang out and occasionally dear old Dad, so there's always someone around. I just need to move the whole mess over to the teenagers' room so the noise is further from my bedroom. :doh:

Collars are really not necessary but if you do decide to use 'em then make sure that you get the proper diameter collars. Olympic bars have a larger diameter ends than the standard bars.