What's the most holes drilled in a project

Gene Miller

I'm currently working on a cabinet to hold my wife's shoes. It's really not that big 36 x 82 but I still had to drill 700 holes. I used a router with a throw away jig made just for the project. It got me wondering ? How many holes have you drilled and how did you do it. :wave:

Depends how we are counting.

If a counterbore/countersink and then a pilot hole count as 2 holes then each chair has 106 holes and I make about 500 a year so that means about 53,000 holes a year plus about another 15,000 in other pieces that I have in the range. If they only count as one then its only 31,000 (+ 7,000ish) holes a year. How do I drill them. I have multi-bore heads on a drill press, I have a twin spindle drilling machine and I drill about half of them with cordless power drills. And yes, I get through a few bits in a year.

Wow Ian, I think you definitely lead the pack.

Here is a pic of the cabinet. Each row has 35 holes X 4 = 140 x 4 openinings =
560. Of course I did one wrong and had to redo it so I had an extra 140 holes. Hey it was for practice, I am new at this. It's funny after you make a mistake like that you can see an easy way to have prevented it. I'm just glad that I assembled it and checked for shelf rock before I glued it together. I was only off about a 1/16 but it was to much. I did have an extra piece of ply left over so it was silly not to remake it.

It is not the hole what matters but the material around it, but also it is the void of the hole what makes it useful, in the same way that it is the void of a vase what makes it useful...

It is not the number of holes what matters but where you make them, but sometimes if they are worm holes the number of them makes you discard that wood....

Sorry I got mystical here:D