New to forum, Help with Planer choise.

Bob Spare

New member, first post.

I work mostly with 1851 barnwood, branching out to other woods. Have posted on another site about 50 products from hall trees to whatever.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/554397384BTHXal

Am suppose to be retired, and got started wood working for hobby. It is now turning into a small business, via word of mouth.

Anway I am in the market for a Planer, and seeking advise.
My budget is limited to $500, being retired.

My purchases will be done in the next couple of days. HELP

Leaning towards a Ridgid Planer, per reviews. My problem is the service for repair if I go that route. If I go that route would have some funds left over for a mortizer. Which Memards has Jet for $199. Dont think that includes the bites.

Reluctant to order of Amzon, would rather purchase local.

Opinions appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

DeWalt 735 can be had for around $500. I got one refurbed from Tyler Tools for around $335. New, I think are $500-550 at the borgs. Can't complain about mine. Seems to get good reviews by the rags.

bob, given your budgit and the wood you`re working with i`d suggest shopping on replacement blade cost more than up-front planer cost...using a lunchbox style planer to process barn wood you`ll go through blades on a regular basis...i`m not up to date on replacement cost but delta used to be the cheapest years ago?
welcome to family woodworking! tod

If you think you may be going through planer knives, you might want to research the ease (and of course price) of swapping out knives. Many of the benchtop models have double-edged knives that simply drop in place with little or no adjustment necessary. Wear out one edge, and simply flip them over. I have an older Delta, which doesn't have the easy knife installation, but I think the new Delta machines do. Also look at DeWalt, Makita, Jet. You should be able to find a good benchtop model within your price range.

BTW, Amazon isn't always such a bad place. I've ordered lots of stuff with no problems. Free shipping on most orders.

Cheers,

Kevin

Bob,
I have an "extra" Delta lunch box planer if you need it. If you pay for shipping I think that I can part with it. PM me and we can work out some deal. This is why we set the site up, to assist others in thier quest to become (or already are) enjoying woodworking.

The features I find important on a planer are some sort of locking device for the cutterhead to reduce snipe, and dust collection. The leading contenders in portables for < $500 tend to be the DW735, DW734, Delta 22-580, Delta TP-400, Ridgid TP1300, and Makita 2012...all well proven and in your price range.

The DW735 has the advantage of a built in chip ejector to help with DC if you don't have a dust collection system. The others all have adequate basic features to do a fine job, so I tend to buy the best deal at the time, which will vary. In my case, the 22-580 for $229 was a no brainer and it hasn't disappointed.

http://www.epinions.com/content_156115177092

Bob,
I have an "extra" Delta lunch box planer if you need it. If you pay for shipping I think that I can part with it. PM me and we can work out some deal. This is why we set the site up, to assist others in thier quest to become (or already are) enjoying woodworking.

kudos joe! sounds like the deal of the century;)

The Grizzly G0505 has 1/8" blades compared to only 1/16" for most of the under 13" size planers. These will last much longer than others out there. Mine is a working hoss and for only $225.00 the best value on the market. But a freebie is even more better. Let us know what happens. :wave:

The Grizzly G0505 has 1/8" blades compared to only 1/16" for most of the under 13" size planers. These will last much longer than others out there. Mine is a working hoss and for only $225.00 the best value on the market. But a freebie is even more better. Let us know what happens. :wave:

frank, the thickness of the blade stock really has no bearing on how long the edge stays sharp.........the composition of the steel is far more important than its thickness.....m-2 for instance will hold an edge much better than o-1

frank, the thickness of the blade stock really has no bearing on how long the edge stays sharp.........the composition of the steel is far more important than its thickness.....m-2 for instance will hold an edge much better than o-1

That's not what the salesman told me. :(
Oh, well, wadda I know? I'll let y'all know when they go dull. :rofl:

I PM details on the planer.
Not looking for a Freebie, willing to pay my way.
Interpeted Joes reply as shipping + $$, waiting for response.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the site. As you have already seen, there are some great (and generous) people here. I was looking at your web site. You do some very nice work! Can't wait to see more projects from you! BTW where are you located?

How I found this site, was from another forum that mentioned one of your members roof caved in. Couldnt believe the response in such a few hours. This made me want to be part of this family.

Answer your question I am from Fort Wayne, In.
My daughter has a store in Auburn, about 15 miles north.

http://countrylanegeneralstore.com/m_show.htm
(As you see I got top billing on her site)

She is the one that got me started in wood working.
My first piece built was and outhouse, too cute to describe here. Anyway it sat there for about 45 days.

Lady bought it, two days later she brought in 4 friends.
I happened to be at the store, and they all order one on the spot. I ended up building 15 outhouses last summer all by word of mouth.