New 'family member'

Paul Downes

I posted a while ago about the loss of our family dog. Well....I was working a frenchfry wagon for a friend at an antique tractor show and just after opening up in the morning a lady and her daughter walked by with 2 Lab looking puppies. I asked her where she got them and she replied that they wanted to get rid of them...Bingo. I took the female. She is a Labrador, German shepherd/collie mix. I really couldn't have planned for a better deal. I like a little herd dog, a little guard dog, and a good family dog.

I have 1 question for you experienced dog owners. She is 11 weeks old and has fleas. How soon can you treat a dog for fleas and when do you get them their shots? (Oops I guess that was 2 questions.) I like her temperment. She already knows that I am the alpha male of the bunch and pays attention to what ever I'm doing. The kids love her and have been playing with her all day long. We took her to a local lake on Sunday and once she figured out what water was I had a hard time dragging her away.

Check the product labeling, but I think you can use the topical that you put on the back of the neck at 8 weeks. After 12 you should be able to dip them (check labeling on this too).

Congrats by the way, sounds like a good pup.

I think a call to your vet is in order. Explain the situation and get her checked out completely if needed. You are not familiar with her background and a check up might be in order. At least you can get your questions answered with just a call. I'm glad she is in a good, loving home, and I'm sure she is too.:thumb:

Paul,

Congrats on the new family member!

The first thing I'd do is take that puppy to a vet for a general checkup! MJ and others will have better, more specific advice. But to quote shakespeare:

"get thee to a veterinary! To a veterinary, go!" ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Well, I checked on google and found that you can give the dog a bath with LDD. SO we went out and gave her a bath with warm water and Joy detergent. She was O.K. with the bath until I hosed her off. We'll see if the scratching stops. I guess it's off to the vet soon.

Like the others have said - a trip to the Vet is in order.

Your pup should have already had some shots - but probably hasn't - so the Vet will need to start her on her series. It varies from place to place, but she'll definitely need a DHLPP shot, and a parvo shot, and maybe to be checked for heartworms.

You owe it to her to look after her health!

Hi,

Definitely take her to a vet. She needs an exam and vaccinations including dystemper, lyme, rabies, etc. and heartworm tests. If you're not sure of her breed, please have the vet verify before you start using those flea repellant drops available over the counter. Some breeds like collies and shepherds have reactions to specific brands, which include seizures and even death. Particularly do not use Hartz products. I note from cursory Web research that Hartz has by far the largest number of law suits filed.

Also, be careful using a flea shampoo in tandem with flea repellant drops. Sometimes dogs scratch because they are allergic to flea bites or the medication itself, so don't compound the dog's misery. See a vet first. It's a worthwhile investment.

Thanks,

--Dr. MJ (thanks, Bill!)