Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bending Plywood on the market

Bending Plywood on the market

There is a product on the market that will be of interest to some.
    Bending plywood is the one I mention here.
    The pictures below are of bending plywood, not sure if the surface is okuome, virola or what but it bends as can be seen.

These photos are of a thin strip 1 5/8" wide. It is 5/16" thick, 3 ply.
    It comes as I know of it in either 4'x8' or 8'x4'. One rolls like an 8' column, the other rolls like a 4' tall table support.
    The thinner the ripping the more bendable it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bending plywood 001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	23098

Name:	bending plywood 002.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	23099

Name:	bending plywood 003.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	23100

Name:	bending plywood 004.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	23101

Name:	bending plywood 005.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	23102

Name:	bending plywood 006.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	23103

Name:	bending plywood 007.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	23104

Name:	bending plywood 008.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	23105

Name:	bending plywood 009.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	23106

Name:	bending plywood 010.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	23107
    Shaz
    More in post #2
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

As I said here are afew more pics.

Name:	bending plywood 011.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	23108

Name:	bending plywood 012.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	23109

Name:	bending plywood 013.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	23110

Name:	bending plywood 014.jpg 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	23111

Name:	bending plywood 015.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	23112

Name:	bending plywood 016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	23113

Name:	bending plywood 017.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	23114
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I've used various forms of bending plywood for many years. It's very common in many commercial shops. The forms I've seen vary from bending poplar which is smooth on both sides to material that has a very porous side opposite a smooth side. One uses what is appropriate for a particular project. A 4x8 sheet is called "column" because it can form into a column up to 8' tall; 8x4 is called "barrel" because it will bend into a shape similar to a barrel in its native size. Either column (4x8) or barrel (8x4) can be used for projects no larger than 4' x 4'.

It's particularly useful for projects with curved surfaces that are to be veneered. For my applications, I've used 1/8" thick bending ply to build assemblies from 1/2" to 7/8" thick prior to application of veneer.

Finding local suppliers isn't always easy and you sure won't find it at the borg.

Last edited by Bill Arnold; 08-20-2008 at 03:47 AM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Pretty cool stuff Shaz! We worked with KerfKore and Timberflex from IPI for a few years. similar outcome, but different beast all together. I kept my focus on the project end - if I had time to dream up new things to do with this stuff, I'd never finished it, Reminds me of fun times.

Wes

Pretty amazing stuff, Shaz. I knew it existed, but didn't realize how tight of radius it could turn.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So whatcha making with it Shaz?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I've used various forms of bending plywood for many years. It's very common in many commercial shops. The forms I've seen vary from bending poplar which is smooth on both sides to material that has a very porous side opposite a smooth side. One uses what is appropriate for a particular project. A 4x8 sheet is called "column" because it can form into a column up to 8' tall; 8x4 is called "barrel" because it will bend into a shape similar to a barrel in its native size. Either column (4x8) or barrel (8x4) can be used for projects no larger than 4' x 4'.

It's particularly useful for projects with curved surfaces that are to be veneered. For my applications, I've used 1/8" thick bending ply to build assemblies from 1/2" to 7/8" thick prior to application of veneer.

Finding local suppliers isn't always easy and you sure won't find it at the borg.

Hi Bill , Thanks for that wonderful, additional input!! Any chance you would share a project for the folks here, even just old photos would be a nice highlight. Your added information really adds to the value of this thread! Thanks,
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    Pretty cool stuff Shaz! We worked with KerfKore and Timberflex from IPI for a few years. similar outcome, but different beast all together. I kept my focus on the project end - if I had time to dream up new things to do with this stuff, I'd never finished it, Reminds me of fun times.

Hi Wes ,
    Do you have any pictures of the kerform or timberflex? I don't know if I ever saw these products used. I have noticed the Kerf -Form in some trade magazines though.
    As I recall, the kerfed forms I have seen were used for the bottom riser of curved staircases . I have seen alot of handmade kerfed forms, some more like smurf forms, poorly done, matter of fact, I think a few of mine were like that a while back!...No not YESTERDAY!..
    Must focus on the project end, that is where I am too. This stuff conjures up some seriously fanciful ideas!
    Thanks,
    S
    Wes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Pretty amazing stuff, Shaz. I knew it existed, but didn't realize how tight of radius it could turn.
    Hi Vaughn ,
    It really is fun stuff, especially the thin rippings that get left over , as you can see and then once bent and secured in whatever bent position, a veneering makes it look like solid beautiful material! Someone else might know if you can veneer it first, but I kind of doubt that process.
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley View Post
    So whatcha making with it Shaz?

Hi Ian ,
    Over in "Flatwork Project Showcase" there is a thread going on
    entitled "A small arch top wine cabinet" that is in progress. Come on over S
    The bending ply is a fun product. As Bill mentioned earlier, forget the Borg's but check out suppliers of "Wood", "Lumber" retail, used, wholesale, "Timber", and maybe "Hardwoods" in you yellow pages. Also check out "Builders Hardware" and ask them questions about your projects and wood needs. The Borg's (Big Orange Retail Giant) is too limited to some one hunting special stuff, and their pricing can be outrageous on some items too, like trim and solid stock.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

do any of them accept stain well?(like an oak ply)

"Hi Bill , Thanks for that wonderful, additional input!! Any chance you would share a project for the folks here, even just old photos would be a nice highlight. Your added information really adds to the value of this thread! Thanks,
    S "

I have some old photos of some projects I worked on at a commercial shop after I "retired" from my real job. I started on some radius tops for a couple of treasure boxes I designed, then we decided to move from Florida to Georgia and I haven't gotten back to those yet.

In most cases, we sandwiched one piece of 1/8" bending ply between two pieces of 3/8" to get almost 3/4" total thickness. As with other dimensional materials, 1/8" and 3/8" are slightly less than those thicknesses. By the time veneer is added to the assembly, the final thickness is real close to 3/4"

As you can see from the attached photos, bending ply is used for everything from very gentle radii to some that are relatively tight. The radii on the pieces in the photos vary from about 10" for the piece with the half-round feature on the end of the cabinet to several feet for the doors and drawer fronts on a base cabinet.

Constructing a bending form for items such as these requires planning, of course. In general, MDF is a good choice because of its stability. I don't have a photo of the steps for building a form, but it's a straight-forward systems of radiused ribs glued to a base. Bending ply is then added to the top of the ribs to provide a solid base for the material assembly to bend against. In the shops, formica was used as the top layer of the form to keep adhesive from sticking to it. I have found that I have no problem with sticking if I apply a couple of coats of shellac to my forms.

Choice of adhesive can be dependent upon the desired radius. White or yellow glue is OK for pieces with a gentle radius, but will allow too much spring-back on small radii. I've pretty much settled on using plastic resin glue for items I build using bending ply as well as for bentwood laminations. In general, commercial shops use Unibond 800, a urea-resin glue.

The final step, of course, is holding your assembly against the form while the adhesive sets up. I have a vacuum press that I use for radiused assemblies as well as flat panels. But that's for another thread, I suppose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DR_Stbd_Upr_1.jpg   DR_Drawer_2.jpg   Laz_Starburst_01.jpg   NS_P_01.jpg   NS_P_02.jpg  

Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    do any of them accept stain well?(like an oak ply)
    Hi Allen ,
    Was wondering when you would pop up.
    Relax, heal!
    Can you be a bit more specific as for me there is not enough information to answer your question. Gotta go but, have a good day. Be back later.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how