Suggestions needed.

Kevin Reid

I need to replace some 4" x 4" posts on a porch. The posts I am replacing have a detail that I don't know how to produce. On each edge where the sides meet there is a stopped flute running from 2 inches from the bottom of the post to two inches from the top. It is centered right on the edge. Any ideas on how I can reproduce the flute?

I need to replace some 4" x 4" posts on a porch. The posts I am replacing have a detail that I don't know how to produce. On each edge where the sides meet there is a stopped flute running from 2 inches from the bottom of the post to two inches from the top. It is centered right on the edge. Any ideas on how I can reproduce the flute?
Is this what is called (I think) a lambs tongue? I believe it's done with a cove bit in a router.

Hey Rennie, You wun the right to be a contendar in the FWW all male calendar! What month do ya want?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have heard of a lambs tongue but quite awhile back I knew what it was, but not this. It is I think more of an elongated ogee. May have a step in it too?:dunno: Anyhow, what month?:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Make sure and line off some stop blocks for those 4x4s, stops to stop your router at the exact place you want!.
Shaz :)
Sounds like Bill too was on target with Stu and Rennie the "Renninator".:eek::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: