Thread: Some more oak

Some more oak

Here is another winged bowl out of oak.

Before you all notice the visable tool marks, I will point out they were left on purpose. I couldn't get them to show as well in the photo, but in person I think the look good....we will have to see if others think so. The rim and bowl are smooth as a babies bottom. The bowl is also slightly under cut as well. 11" wide and about 5" tall finish is watco oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20080816_0002.JPG   20080816_0003.JPG   20080816_0006.JPG   20080816_0005.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I like it... but sure looks like a real knuckle buster to turn.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Now, that one I like a lot. The Oak really lends itself well to the primitive look of the wings. The bark inclusion, natural edges and cracks all work well together. Thanks for showing.
    Cody

Hi Jeff.
    That's a beatiful and original bowl! I like the somewhat "rough" finish and the fact of contrasting round with square.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Looking good, Jeff. Have you considered cutting a bead or sharp (shallow) groove to accent the transition from the rough part to the smooth part? Something like that would "frame" the smooth center, and make it more obvious that the rougher part is intentional.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Looking good, Jeff. Have you considered cutting a bead or sharp (shallow) groove to accent the transition from the rough part to the smooth part? Something like that would "frame" the smooth center, and make it more obvious that the rougher part is intentional.
    Vaughn, great minds think alike, I have one in the works with just that detail.

Thanks for all the comments and Chuck, I managed to miss my knuckles....this time.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Vaughn, great minds think alike, ...
    Yeppers, and so do minds like ours, as well.

(Hey...even a broken clock is right every once in a while.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jeff great looking piece. I like it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.