Preparing for Ipe furniture build

The cold weather is coming. Once the garage temps drop below 50 during the day, its hard for me to work too long, the fingers just dont want to bend after a while.
My new TS should be here any day, and Im picking up a cheapy, real cheapy Ryobi router/table combo off of someone near me tomorrow. Used, but only once, so Ill save 35 bucks and the tax.(I want to try working with a router upside down before I build my own table)
I have to build a sled for the new TS and I already started a stand for a drumset pad set for the RockBand 2 video game.(Ive got alot of Oak ply and 1x3, 1x4 oak laying around)Small project, but will keep me busy.

Last edited:
Way to wring a final project out of what was left over. Anything to purge yourself from the ipe, huh? :p The box came out looking nice.

Here's hoping your new saw helps take your mind off the health issues. You're gonna enjoy it. I do recommend buying or making a zero-clearance plate for it. It will help make all the ripping you do (especially the thin stuff) easier, safer, and with cleaner cuts.

this flatwork doesnt deserve its own thread.
But its great for me to practice with MT joints , got used to struggling with the ipe, the chisel bit goes through oak like butter.
So I gotta let if dry, sand it a little, heres the Rock Band drumpad stand.
For those that dont know what this is, its a drum set that goes with the guitar for the video games all the kids want.

wood stuff 212 (Medium).jpg
I learned that once the kids, no matter what age, from 5-55, start playing this at a bbq or party, its still going strong at 1am. I finally figured out how to pull the plug on it this summer so the neighbors didnt call the police.(we have it set up on a 10 foot screen with a digital projector)
I picked up the microphone and do my version of the song, that usually clears the backyard in 1 minute.

Attachments

• wood stuff 214 (Small).jpg
    wood stuff 214 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Just did a google search on Ipe wood. It weighs 69 to 80 lb. per cubic foot. That means it will not float on water.

One of the woodworking sites had an article comparing Ipe to metal. Sorry, but I didn't bookmark the site.

The MccFeeley's site emphasis on square drive screws is interesting. In Canada these are the norm. They are Robertson screws and are much better tan the Philips.

Just recently I noticed that the handle of the red handled Robertson screw driver is much more worn than any of the 9 or 10 other drivers in the set.