Preparing for Ipe furniture build

Ive put a screw through each joint. I decided after having a couple of joints on the chess table fail with only gorilla glue, Id switched back to TB3.
I clean each tenon with mineral spirits, to get it clean and dry.(a non-oily feel) Seems to work ok, dont know if cleaning tenons help.

I was debating about try Ipe for one of my birdfeeder designs but as they require mostly glue for assembly (and the odd pin nail) I wasn't sure if it would hold. The worst part would be the main part where the seed tray sits as it would have to be 3 pieces glued up to make it deep enough.

Against wishes and demands from the Warden, and Im sure the doc by the end of today, I managed to finish the table top off.
Not as easy as I thought. I had only little damage up till now with tools.
One Dewalt bit cracked today, but eveything else held up fine.
My drawing measurements were 35.5 x 54. The final measurements were 35.5 by 54 and 3/8ths. Go figure, but thats why I didnt cut any end pieces till I had all the slats in and held firm with clamps to see the actual size Id need.
:huh:

I dropped an end piece and an inch of it cracked off, but I turned it underneath and reglued it on, stuck a screw through. Underside wont be seen.

A few pics, not sanded and not cleaned up yet.(I rounded off edges but forgot to put a tiny chamfer on the insided ends of the table ends. I guess Ill sand it out a little to compensate)

One stainless steel square bit head 3/4 inch into each tenon to hold secure, underside only.

oh yeah, almost forgot, its one heavy little table top.
(I also spaced the slats a bit too far I believe after I assembled it, maybe should have stuck with 1/4 inch apart, this will have to do, Im not taking it apart or recutting)

Attachments

• wood stuff 107 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 107 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7
  • wood stuff 108 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 108 (Medium).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 11
  • wood stuff 109 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 109 (Medium).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 10
  • wood stuff 110 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 110 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 111 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 111 (Medium).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 8
  • wood stuff 112 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 112 (Medium).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10
  • wood stuff 116 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 116 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I was debating about try Ipe for one of my birdfeeder designs but as they require mostly glue for assembly (and the odd pin nail) I wasn't sure if it would hold. The worst part would be the main part where the seed tray sits as it would have to be 3 pieces glued up to make it deep enough.

I dont think youd have a problem if you shot some screws through it to hold any joined areas.(predrilling is essential,)
And theres always some nasty splinters.

Looks pretty good Allen - I doubt you'll have any trouble with it coming apart! Must be tough stuff to work judging by the condition of that bit!

The trouble is my joints are too small to be able to use screws.

Ipe kills drill bits fast. I went through 2 brand new dewalt drill/countersinks putting the deck down.

alot tougher than other woods for sure, but if you get a good titanium or carbide tipped bit, relatively small, coulnt you drill into the joints and use a very fine type SS screw, without countersinking it. Not sure what they are called, maybe panhead?

great score this morning

drove over to harrows on rt 110, and I couldnt find the store.
Figured I look for some cushions, this time of year, I gotta find some kinda discount.
I turned around, heading home, I saw a Fortunoff Backyard Outlet Center
I usually wont pay their prices, but what a score.
69.99 seat cushions, reduced to 5.00 each!
Got two extra, why not.
Not the exact size, but good enough, and top quality.

As I left, I said to myself, too bad they dont sell tablesaws.

Attachments

• wood stuff 117 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 117 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 17
the only part of the table and chairs I didnt bother to design, was the legs/base of the table.
Figured, alot of options, so Id see what it all looks like.
I studied alot of pictures of ipe, teak and a few other more common hardwood tables made for outdoors, and I came up with a pretty basic design.

guesstimating the total weight of the table, top and base, I figure around 80-85lbs. Not as bad as I thought.
The table top ended up being a few inches shorter in width and length than I had planned, but the 3/4 stock was very tight, since I changed up the chair design. I have I think 7 pieces of 5/4 stock left., and maybe 3 feet only of 3/4 stock.
Very close, glad I didnt run out.

Attachments

• wood stuff 119 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 119 (Medium).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 9
  • wood stuff 122 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 122 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 8
  • wood stuff 123 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 123 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10
  • wood stuff 124 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 124 (Medium).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 6
  • wood stuff 126 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 126 (Medium).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 10
  • wood stuff 127 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 127 (Medium).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 8
  • wood stuff 128 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 128 (Medium).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Finished!

86 mortises, 136 tenons, 120 linear feet 1x6 ipe, 60 linear feet 5/4x6 ipe
A handful of SS screws and around 100 nasty wood splinters in every part of my hands.
And Id guess 75 lbs of ipe sawdust in the trash
I made a "faux" through mortise/tenon to make it look better where the bottom stretcher attaches.

Attachments

• wood stuff 129 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 129 (Medium).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
  • wood stuff 131 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 131 (Medium).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
i bet yu

wont be playun with ipe fer awahle huh..its some awfull stuff,, but you made fine set out of it there allen looks good and in afew years it will have aged just nicly..:thumb::thumb:

nah, I figure my backyard is just too small for the amount of chairs I want.
Just some I cant part with.The rest Im working on.
Thats around 12-13 chairs under that tarp, another 12 chairs in the shed,2 5 foot fold up benches, and I have no clue how many of those camp style chairs in a bag I have above my head in the garage. Maybe 6-10?
I make it a mandantory rule now, if I have a bbq or party in my yard, whatever chair you sit in, you have to take home.
My wife has told me shes glad I dont like to make kiddie swing sets.:rofl:

Attachments

• wood stuff 133 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 133 (Medium).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 15
  • wood stuff 134 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 134 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
wont be playun with ipe fer awahle huh..its some awfull stuff,, but you made fine set out of it there allen looks good and in afew years it will have aged just nicly..:thumb::thumb:

Ill replace that swinging bench next summer with one made out of ipe and redwood. After that, unless someone wants to pay me alot of moolah, Ill skip this beautiful exotic wood for something a bit easier to play with.

thanx for the nice comments, I did take something with this build.
I overcame my fear of lack of knowledge of mortise and tenon jointery and how to apply them.
Its like a big puzzle, and if youre numbers are right, patience will eventually help one get through.
Im not a patient builder, I like quick turnouts, but I really enjoyed this.(although Id prefer less dense wood to work with next time)

well allen i would say you probally couldnt find much harder wood to work that was easy to get ahold of,, you done a fine job and learned from it as well.. who said a old dog cant learn new tricks??? you did and your really old:rofl: