Blister Maple Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a piece of "blister" maple I got from Terry Quiram here on FW a while back. This particular piece doesn't have a lot of the blister figure, but it's got some nice curl to make up for it, and the sapwood/heartwood contrast is nice. I decided to experiment a bit with the form...thinking along the "southwest look" lines. In hindsight, I might have made the neck and opening a bit smaller.

This one is about about 5 1/2" high and 6" wide. More of the regular ol' buffed Antique Oil finish.

HF046 - 01 800.jpg HF046 - 03 800.jpg

Comments and suggestions are all welcome -

nice result!

vaughn, the rippled effect going up the form from the bottom to the top is sharp in the second pic.. you should have gotten some of the really blisterd stuff he had i was all set to see what you had,, that was some awesome wood he had there looks nice and will hold alot dried flowers for a sweet arrangment on someones table.

Larry, I've got more of it. Fingers crossed, there should be some nice stuff yet to come.

Shane, search the Classified Ads here for "blister maple" to see a few examples of the blistered stuff.

Vaughn - outstanding HF! Beautiful wood - has to be something to see in person! Love the form! I have the book "Southwestern Pottery, Anasazi to Zuni" and with vary slight variations (mostly in decoration) the form you have turned has been used off and on since 1300 AD. For lack of a better term it is referred to as a jar and from what I could see - the shape, including the neck and opening are a very close match to the photos in the book! Seriously - nice work!

Thanks, Steve. After I made this one, I looked at a few websites to see if I could find anything with as long of neck, but didn't find anything. Still, it definitely has an Indian influence. Growing up in northern and central New Mexico, I had pueblo Indian pottery around me a lot. Among other things, my grandmother used to trade with the Zuni tribe (mostly jewelry, though), and I went to school with the grandkids of Maria Martinez, a.k.a. "Maria the Potter" from San Ildefonso pueblo.

I see a lot of Indian influence in a lot of your pieces, too. :thumb:

Very nice right up to the neck area, it looks "unfinished" to my eye :dunno:

I wonder if there might be some sort of collar in this one's future :D

Vacuum rigs can be real useful ;) :wave:

Vaughn - lived out west for a while and was in awe of the pottery and anything considered 'southestern' style. Didn't turn back then but appreciated the combination of functional and artistic form. Was always amazed at the pieces that were created despite the limited means to do so.

Checking through the book I referenced and I can see at least 5 different pieces that are very close to the same form you turned. Don't know if it is legal to scan and post a cropped version of those photos - or just send through PM.

Getting late here - so drop me a PM and let me know. Should have some time later tomorrow if it's something you wish to see.

Steve, doesn't look like it's on Google Books. If you have time to scan them, you can e-mail them to me. There's an e-mail link in my Profile. I think I'll also add the book to my Wishlist on Amazon.

Vaughn

I have been waiting for one of your pieces to show up. Isn't that Maple a dream to work? I have a bunch of bowls drying. I like your form and the figure justs adds to the effect. Well done.

I still have a little of that Maple left.

Terry