Walnut Hollow Form

Shane Starnes

I had a little fight on my hands with this one. I forgot to wrap it up after the DNA soak and the end grain cracked really bad. :bang:

It's around 7"t x 6"w Started out much larger. :(

fixed.JPG

Looking good Shane. :thumb: Love the finish, but I think I'd prefer to see a less sharp shoulder on it. (I've made some that were a similar shape...most of us have a UFO or two on the shelf.) :D

Keep 'em coming.

P.S. The bit about "started out much larger" sounds like the proverbial jewelry box that started out as an entertainment center. :)

Them cracks and such just "ADD" to the piece, they "ADD" excitement when turning, and "ADD" character when they are done, and people are looking at them :thumb:

I'd like to see some more shots, maybe not such a close up, looks like on prudy piece of wood :)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the constructive criticism. It’s hard to learn when everyone just tells you "good job" I have some excuses as to the shape but I wont go into that. I struggle with design but its getting better with each one. I think I will start using a picture to get a better feel for it. I am fine if I have something to look at.

Stuart I will take some more shots of it tomorrow. It looks a lot less like a space ship in person. I think you hit it on the head. The pic is too close.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the constructive criticism. It’s hard to learn when everyone just tells you "good job"

That is really true, but it is a fine line to come across as not too critical, and still be encouraging.

Pictures work for me too, to give me an idea, but the other thing that works really well is to see a shape in person that you like, even if it is smaller than the piece you are working on. I find inspiration right in my own kitchen :D Of course if I was taking stuff from the kitchen to the Dungeon, I'd be in trouble, so what I do is watch at non-burnable garbage day here, lots of people toss out stuff that is perfectly functional, but they don't want anymore, I find lots of small bowls and even small vases etc. A second hand shop, or a salvation army is also a good spot. You can often buy stuff that the finish on it is so 1970, but the shape, or form is just what you want. To have that in the shop, where you can look at it daily and look at it while you are turning is, for me, a real bonus.

I'll look forward to the extra pics!

Stu :wave:

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the constructive criticism. It’s hard to learn when everyone just tells you "good job" I have some excuses as to the shape but I wont go into that. I struggle with design but its getting better with each one. I think I will start using a picture to get a better feel for it. I am fine if I have something to look at.

Stuart I will take some more shots of it tomorrow. It looks a lot less like a space ship in person. I think you hit it on the head. The pic is too close.
Glad to see you took the comments in the spirit in which they were given. For me, I rely on the comments of others to help me improve. I'd rather have people tell me what they don't like (and why) than have people lining up to say "nice form and finish." Like Stu said, it's hard to know how much to tell someone...we don't want to discourage people, but don't want to blow sunshine up their skirt, either. :D If someone says something like "Comments and critiques are welcome", then I don't hold back as much.

I agree with Stu on the picture suggestion. I'd suggest looking at pictures you like on this forum and others, and seeing how much of the background is still visible in the frame. My general rule of thumb is I try to have the object in the photo use up about 2/3 of the width of the frame, with the other 1/3 divided between the two sides as "free space". Then I try to roughly match that "free space" on the top and bottom of the object as well. (Or a little less, depending on the shape.) I usually take my shots with more "free space" than I need, then crop the picture to adjust the "free space" as needed. I do find, though, on my bigger pieces it's sometimes not possible to get as much space as I'd like...they've outgrown my backdrop and photo tent. (I have a bigger tent, but I need to order a bigger backdrop.)

I'm sure this piece has less of a UFO look in person, and forms are always subjective. What appeals to some people might not to others. The only way to find out which ones you like is to try a bunch of them, just like most of us here have done. ;) I know I'm still figuring it out for myself. I like the shape of my 4th hollow form better than my 44th, but each one is part of the learning process.