Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Tablesaw?

New Tablesaw?

I have a DeWalt benchtop Tablesaw, the DW744, for a benchtop saw, it has been really good, but, I really want to replace it.

I've been looking around the net, and this is what I've found so far here in Japan.........

Spoke Shave MH110R-30 189,000 yen $1750
    Spoke Shave MH110R-50 199,000 yen $1850

Delta Contractor 36-980 124,000 yen $1140
    Delta Contractor 36-981 174,000 yen $1600
    Delta Contractor 36-982 169,000 yen $1550

Steel City MW35600 119,000 yen $1100
    To me the Steel City saw is looking fairly good at this point, but honestly, I'd sure like the Delta

Price is not such a big concern, as we have been informed by our accountant that we have a little problem with my business, you see, I have my own small business, and I've been doing work for the liquor shop and charging for it, stuff like fixing things, or building stuff. The accountant informs us that this is not really OK with the Japanese government, a family member who works for one company, also working for another doing work for the first company, as I'm on salary with the liquor shop........

So, what he has suggested is that I buy tools to cover my labour, and just add the cost of the tool to what ever work I'm doing, this will fly. I'm going to be renovating one of the apartments in one of our older buildings, new floors and walls in the kitchen area, and new kitchen cabinets, plus some wiring, a fairly big job, but right now, due to the walls being damaged from the roof leaking the place is unrentable, so it need fixing, as we are losing about $750 a month on rent (the roof got fixed). I figure the work I'm going to do will be worth the price of a good new tablesaw

I'd love to have th 50" rails, but honestly, they would not fit in my shop, so they are not really an option, the 30" rails will be enough to walk around.

If any of you have one of these saws, I'd like to hear about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spokeshave_mh110r_30.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	23201
    I'm thinking the "Spoke Shave MH110R-30" at $1750 would be a good choice.........? but I've never heard of this maker?

It is on the Delta Japan homepage, but I don't know anything about....
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 08-22-2008 at 07:36 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Haven't used any of the saws mentioned, but based on what I've seen, I'd take the Steel City hybrid before I'd take the Delta contractor any day of the week.

The SpokeShave is likely another "spec-made" Chinese saw, but if the construction tolerance specs are good, the machine specs make it look like the best of the ones you've listed. Any idea how their warranty and customer service rate?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

One thing I see in comparison between the Steel City and the Spoke Shave is the actual weight of the two units;

Steel City is 173 Kg (380.6 lbs)
    Spoke Shave 208 Kg (457.6 lbs)

The difference of 35 Kg (77 lbs) can mean a lot, or mean not very much at all

Some more pics of the Spoke Shave saw......

Name:	table_top.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	23202 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trunnion.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	23203 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t-square1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	23204 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t-square2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	23205

The saws are sold by various companies here, but the importer looks like the same guys who import Delta and Steel City
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Does the Steel City have a cabinet saw-style trunnion (as I assume the SpokeShave has)? If the Steel City has the typical hybrid-style trunnion, then it's essentially a contractor-style saw with an enclosed cabinet. It's my understanding that the cabinet saw style is more robust.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Stu,
    Judging from the appearance of the blade adjustment wheels, and the faces of the Biesemeyer clone fence, the SpokeShave saw looks like another version of the Grizzley 1023/Shop Fox 1677.

Both are very good saws. I have the Shop Fox version, and can't really say enough good things about it.

But, if you've got your heart set on a Delta...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks for the info Jim!

I'd love a Delta cabinet saw, but they are close to $4000 here and the only time I'll be spending that kind of money on a tool it will be white, made in Canada and have stainless steel ways

Vaughn, the Steel city they are selling is indeed the "Hybrid", so I'd most likely go for the Spoke Shave, even though it has a dumb name

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

Where in the heck are you going to put a saw like that? Wouldn't you have to redo the whole shop? And if you do that, where will you put the oneway?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    ..And if you do that, where will you put the Oneway?...
    My Shop?

Well, I'd ditch the DeWalt, and I'd put it where the DeWalt was. I would have to cut down the rails on the new saw, but it would be so very nice to have an accurate tablesaw, the DeWalt is great for a benchtop, but it leaves much to be desired.

here is a comparo pic between the Shop*Fox Spoke Shave*Grizzly

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	23206

Don't worry guys, if a Oneway was coming, I'd find room
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Don't worry guys, if a Oneway was coming, I'd find room
    In my shop?