some type of ?

larry merlau

marking guauge.. first question is it has a brass bar that can be adjusted to differnt distances between the 2 points? why 2 points rather than 1? and it has a single point on the other side. it has the letters N.E.W. on both sides of the locking side guide but it anint new?? so fill me in what i am lookin at folks. thanks

Ian hit the nail on the head.:bow:

Larry, I'm thinking with all those sharp points you are risking poking a hole in you. Maybe I should take the gage off your hands before its too late. Go grab your leather gloves and put the dangerous thing in your truck and I'll releave you of it next week.:poke:

Neander Tool Questions and Show & Tell/// Got a question about handtools themselves i was asking a question. if i am outa line delete it folks! dont want no more fire this wk

Heck no Larry, no reason to delete anything, and you ain't catching no more fire.....I'm just funnin with you.

giver mre abrke doug,, i aint got that mucj hitck stuff to get pic.. i kinda thought you neanders could tell jist frum the description and the feel of it.

Wasnt trying to give you a hard time. It kinda sounded like a mortise marker but I just hesitated making a guess without seeing it. The "what i am lookin at" question made me think you'd intended to attach one.

Hi Larry,

It sounds like a combination mortise [the two pin side] and a single pin parking gauge.

The mortise side simply marks both sides of a mortise--more accurate than using a single pin type for marking one side, then adjusting the pin to mark the other side of a mortise.

But sometimes, the single side is what is needed for use, say for marking the end of a board for the depth of DTs, or for marking a line for cutting.

But without a picture, it's harder to tell what ya got for sure...Take care, Mike

well good fer you cause

Okay, I got the part about the walnut trees - but who's the "old fart" you're referring to ?? :huh:

i dont know wher the ole fart got the walnut from and for those who dont know the ole fart is? the one and only //mr steve clardy, please stand up and take a boww! as for pic mike i dont have a digital cam. butif idid o would have.. but i think you nailed as did ian.. thanks on the info.. is there any value in it or just run of the mill old tool? also does the N.E.W. mean anythng to where i was made or came from? my hiteck daughter is comin in tonihgt and she might be able to get pic for the ticket police:)

Hi Larry--no picture is necessary [my name isn't Tyler <g>], just helpful when I don't have a solid idea...

I don't find reference to the initials, which could be an owner's stamp but could be a company one I just cannot find.

By and large, gauges do not have more than a nominal value. It would take one made by a little known maker in most likely spend [for the day] materials or something which makes it unique.

For instance, I have a wonderful Apple and brass mortise gauge made and stamped by Disston. Not a common item, though not super rare even though the stamp is early. I think I paid $15 from a dealer.

Even though when I had my shop up and going, and had a few mortisers, I still used a gauge like this for laying out mortises consistently. So in that sense, it has value as an aid to quick, accurate layout.

Take care, Mike

thanks mike for your help, i got the rest of the story tonight from dad i asked if there were any kin way back that had those intintials and he come up with one tha thad the W so from that i can date it to around late 1800's early
19oo's but that close enough..seein as how you had some good refernce points have you heard of the company boyce crane industrial equipment> i know its not hand tools :)